Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220v for welder

Hi all:

I am trying to wire a new receptacle to a pre-existing 220v line that
was for
a dryer in my shop- the welder requires a 30 A line which this one is,
and needs
a NEMA 6-50 receptacle. I can see that the dryer receptacle has two
hots ( red and black) and a neutral white- however, i see that the
6-50 needs two hots and a ground.
I am assuming that this means the existing line can still be used with
a few modifications- it is 10/3- .....tape a green indicator on both
ends of the white and make that a ground? is this correct Thanks for
any help-!

Posted to alt.home.repair

inspired13 wrote:
Hi all:

I am trying to wire a new receptacle to a pre-existing 220v line that
was for
a dryer in my shop- the welder requires a 30 A line which this one is,
and needs
a NEMA 6-50 receptacle. I can see that the dryer receptacle has two
hots ( red and black) and a neutral white- however, i see that the
6-50 needs two hots and a ground.
I am assuming that this means the existing line can still be used with
a few modifications- it is 10/3- .....tape a green indicator on both
ends of the white and make that a ground? is this correct Thanks for
any help-!

Yes, assuming it's wired correctly (to the main panel and not a
subpanel.) But it might be cheaper and easier to put a NEMA 10-30 plug
on the welder.

Bob