Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Great experience with Kwikset

On Apr 10, 3:55 pm, "Bob" wrote:
We had our house built over ten years ago. We chose Kwikset door hardware
throughout and it has served us well.

A couple weeks ago we could not close the back door to the garage. The
doorknob latch was in the extended position and would not go in so the door
could not close.

I tried to remove the doorknob assembly, but the doorknob shaft would not
come out. Finally I called the Kwikset company to see if they had any
ideas. They told me to call a locksmith and send them the bill. The
locksmith said an internal part was broken and jamming the mechanism. He
used a screwdriver to bend the lock frame and took out a broken part.

Again, I called Qwikset. They told me they would send me a new lock set -
their products have a lifetime warranty. I didn't even have to send them
the old lock.

In the meantime, I took the door mechanism off a seldom used closet door in
the computer room and installed it in the back door so it would stay closed.
Of course it didn't have a lock on it, but we also have a double cylinder
deadbolt on the door so we were able to lock the door.

Today the new lock set came via Fed-Ex. Of course it has a different key,
but that's not a big deal.

I was really impressed with the response of Kwikset. This kind of service
is far too rare in this day and age.

Thanks Kwikset
Bob-tx

Not to many companies do that any more, it's nice to see.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The one time I got a call from a woman who had a couple locks for
me to install. She'd bought them herself. One was defective. I
called my parts wholesale, who suggested I call Kwikset. I did,
and a couple days later the replacement lock was on her step.

Incidentally, the same locksmith who removed the last lock can
most likely rekey the new one to your house key.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Now go find a bored 15 year old and give him a $2 lockpick and tension
wrench and ask him to try and open the kwikset. If it it holds out 30
seconds it's better than average.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
[...]

I have to say that I am not much impressed with Kwikset's as compared to
Schlage etc. BUT it certainly is nice to see a company giving good
customer service like this. BTW if you want to get the lock rekeyed
just take it and your existing key to any decent locksmith and they can
probably do it while you wait for not much $$$.

good luck,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

Unable to comprehend that the topic of the thread is kwikset something
called "Abe" wrote in message
news
Now go find a bored 15 year old and give him a $2 lockpick and tension
wrench and ask him to try and open the kwikset. If it it holds out 30
seconds it's better than average.

Most people know that Qwik-set locks aren't really secure, but you're
not replying to the topic of conversation.
*ploink*

Posted to alt.home.repair

bdeditch wrote:

On Apr 10, 3:55 pm, "Bob" wrote:
[...]

Actually most do, it's just that most consumers forget about lifetime
warrantees, figure they need the receipt, don't bother to call, etc. For
the few consumers who actually do contact the company they usually are
very happy with the service.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:10:08 -0700, Abe wrote:

Now go find a bored 15 year old and give him a $2 lockpick and tension
wrench and ask him to try and open the kwikset. If it it holds out 30
seconds it's better than average.
Most people know that Qwik-set locks aren't really secure, but you're
not replying to the topic of conversation.
*ploink*

Unable to comprehend that the topic of the thread is kwikset something
called "Abe"

Listen you top posting moron, the topic was not qwik-set locks
themselves, it was their customer service. Or are you really too dumb
to comprehend that, you little punk.

Where do you live? I wanna come visit you.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

I don't think Kwikset is any easier to pick than Baldwin, Weiser, Schlage,
or the Chinese stuff. They are all pretty easy.

cm

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Bob wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Abe" wrote in message
Now go find a bored 15 year old and give him a $2 lockpick and tension
wrench and ask him to try and open the kwikset. If it it holds out 30
seconds it's better than average.
Most people know that Qwik-set locks aren't really secure, but you're
not replying to the topic of conversation.
*ploink*

Unable to comprehend that the topic of the thread is kwikset something
called "Abe"

Listen you top posting moron, the topic was not qwik-set locks

BWAHAHAHA You're too ****ing stupid to figure out that it's Kwikset and you
are talking about morons? That's too ****ing funny.

themselves, it was their customer service.

Funny there little man I don't see the words "customer service" in the
subject. I see Kwikset though. WTF does it matter? Kwikset is ****. Like was
already said they won't keep anybody out and like other people in the thread
posted the ****ty things keep breaking or are no good out of the box or
whatever and you have to send them back. So you got a lock that won't keep
people out and breaks a lot. Some drooling tard like you thinks that's good.
Most people with a brain think it's a waste of time and ****ty security. Buy
a real lock and you won't have to send it back.

Or are you really too dumb
to comprehend that, you little punk.

Where do you live? I wanna come visit you.

LMAO You wouldn't visit him or her if he or she posted an address. You're a
gutless little bitch and you know it. That's why you post your little bitch
boy threats on usenet where you don't have to see anybody face to face. A
110lb girl would kick your ass and probably has.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Badly confused and totally frustrated by some words at the top of a post
some drooling retard called "mm"

wrote in message

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

of the easier languages.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
bdeditch wrote:

On Apr 10, 3:55 pm, "Bob" wrote:
[...]

Actually most companies that have been around any length of time will do it,
although since the Yale locks have been on my house over 40 years and
haven't needed anything done to them yet I can't say for sure about them.
Kwikset is a junk lock. Sorry but it is. Yeah, they gave you another one but
if they made a good product you wouldn't have had to worry about it for 20
more years or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CM" wrote in message
I don't think Kwikset is any easier to pick than Baldwin, Weiser, Schlage,
or the Chinese stuff. They are all pretty easy.

Schlage is harder to pick than Kwikset. Baldwin I don't know never picked
one. The other crap is about the same as Kwikset. Kwikset and that other
junk can be picked faster than most people can get out the right key and
open it. Lousy tolerances and crappy materials gaurantee it only gets worse
with even light type use. Worse you don't even have to pick a knob kwikset.
The whole cylinder pops out the front in a few seconds with the freaking
thing on the door and locked. It's a joke. Hard to beleive they sell it that
way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Schlage residential they used to sell, I really liked them.
Someone changed the design, and the newer Schlages I do not like
at all.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
:
: I have to say that I am not much impressed with Kwikset's as
compared to
: Schlage etc. BUT it certainly is nice to see a company giving
good
: customer service like this. BTW if you want to get the lock
rekeyed
: just take it and your existing key to any decent locksmith and
they can
: probably do it while you wait for not much $$$.
:
: good luck,
:
: nate
:
: --
: replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
: http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

A. So people can see the answer in the preview pane, and decide
if they want to scroll down for the question.

A. To reduce bandwidth, is why polite usenet posters trim excess
text. To leave all the chicken scratches and old names is very
impolite.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

In the process of having a meltdown, and forgetting that it supposedly
ploinked, something, probably a poorly written bot, called Abe screeched:

Most people know that Qwik-set locks aren't really secure, but you're
not replying to the topic of conversation.
*ploink*

Unable to comprehend that the topic of the thread is kwikset something
called "Abe"
Listen you top posting moron, the topic was not qwik-set locks
themselves, it was their customer service. Or are you really too dumb
to comprehend that, you little punk.

Where do you live? I wanna come visit you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The Schlage residential they used to sell, I really liked them.
Someone changed the design, and the newer Schlages I do not like
at all.

You may well not like them but Schlage F is a grade 2 lock and the Kwiksets
everybody is so happy they can get replaced when they break are not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The Schlage residential they used to sell, I really liked them.
Someone changed the design, and the newer Schlages I do not like
at all.

Which, of course, leaves us non-lockies with no good selection at all.
What we could once do for $30 and elbow grease now costs a day off work
for a lockie to show up and $200 for parts and labor.

--
Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast.
That's why stereo has two channels.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

Because reading from the top of the page down in logical coherent order
befuddled the hell out of him "mm" wrote in
message ...

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Maybe with it being shorter you can figure it out now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

"CM" wrote in message
I don't think Kwikset is any easier to pick than Schlage,

You may not think it is but it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm more concerned with how the lock works, and if it's easy to
service.

I know a tailor who can shorten that sentence for you.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"DB" wrote in message
:
: You may well not like them but Schlage F is a grade 2 lock and
the Kwiksets
: everybody is so happy they can get replaced when they break are
not.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can use Kwikset like I do....

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"clifto" wrote in message
: Stormin Mormon wrote:
: The Schlage residential they used to sell, I really liked
them.
: Someone changed the design, and the newer Schlages I do not
like
: at all.
:
: Which, of course, leaves us non-lockies with no good selection
at all.
: What we could once do for $30 and elbow grease now costs a day
off work
: for a lockie to show up and $200 for parts and labor.
:
: --
: Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast.
: That's why stereo has two channels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I'm more concerned with how the lock works, and if it's easy to
service.

Dude we already know how they work. I can pick these pieces of **** in a few
seconds. Not good. They obviously break a lot because we got you and the
original guy saying how happy they are Kwikset will replace them when they
do. Who wants a lock that's easy to pick and breaks a lot? They are ****.
End of story.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You can use Kwikset like I do....

He obviously doesn't want to use ****set because he knows it's well....****.
The local locksmith who's been in business for decades laughs at these
things and calls them a burglars delight, especially the knob ones where the
whole damn cylinder pops out. He showed me what he was talking about on a
locked door and had it open in under half a minute. Later I tried it with a
slightly modified keyblank and pliers and could do it just as easy as he
did. They are JUNK. If you got this crap on your door you are begging for a
break in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I started thru almost exactly the same experience today. Friday the
13th, of course. Tumbler on garage door locked up, couldn't close
door, etc.

I managed to remove lock components w/o locksmith. There's a
release point on the outside knob assy. But the tumbler was
still frozen and unfixable (sealed unit).

Called Kwikset. "Ahrum" told me that the life warranty applies only
to stuff purchased after 2001 and higher-end models. They're
supposed to send me a tumbler 'tho my unit was lots older.

You must have got their nicest CSR: I had to ****/moan just to
get FedEx instead of USPS (coulda took 2 weeks). Shiver to think
what'd happen if I hadda locksmith bill.

So, Kwikset appears responsive, but I wouldn't necessarily count
on the royal treatment given Mr. Bob.

Cheers,
Puddin'

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:55:47 -0600, "Bob" wrote:

[...]

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell