Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Expensive Plumber-Tell me if this isn't ridiculous

Hello all,

I had a plumber come out this weekend because I was getting some
vibrating noises in the pipes. I thought it was caused by a faulty
toilet (ballcock, intake tube) and air was getting in the pipes, but
wanted to be sure.

Anyway, he came out, and yes, he said that was what is causing the
pipe noise. He said I need a new ballcock, and needed to replace the
toilet emergency shut off valve because it was leaky. Fine.

Total charge=$400.00.

I told him "no thanks" and went to Home Depot, picked up about $20.00
worth of materials, and fixed it in about a half-hour or so. I could
buy a couple of brand new toilets for $400.00.

$400.00 dollars for a ballcock and valve installation. Crazy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I had a plumber come out this weekend because I was getting some
vibrating noises in the pipes. I thought it was caused by a faulty
toilet (ballcock, intake tube) and air was getting in the pipes, but
wanted to be sure.

Anyway, he came out, and yes, he said that was what is causing the
pipe noise. He said I need a new ballcock, and needed to replace the
toilet emergency shut off valve because it was leaky. Fine.

Total charge=$400.00.

I told him "no thanks" and went to Home Depot, picked up about $20.00
worth of materials, and fixed it in about a half-hour or so. I could
buy a couple of brand new toilets for $400.00.

$400.00 dollars for a ballcock and valve installation. Crazy?

If you knew what the problem was in the first place, why did you even waste
your time calling in the plumber?
seems to me even though you didn't pay the guy, his expertise was of some
value to you.

perhaps a consulting fee should be paid to him next time, its things like
this that result in 100 dollar fees just to walk thru the door.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote in message

If you knew what the problem was in the first place, why did you even
waste your time calling in the plumber?
seems to me even though you didn't pay the guy, his expertise was of some
value to you.

perhaps a consulting fee should be paid to him next time, its things like
this that result in 100 dollar fees just to walk thru the door.

Do you think $400 was a fair price? The OP stated why he called a plumber.
The fact that the plumber was going to screw him is a good reason to say
"no". Fair price would have been about $100, not $400. Perhaps at $80 to
$100 he would have gotten the job. Yes, he may have gotten some value from
the expertise, but the quote is outrageous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 4:21 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote in message

If you knew what the problem was in the first place, why did you even
waste your time calling in the plumber?
seems to me even though you didn't pay the guy, his expertise was of some
value to you.

perhaps a consulting fee should be paid to him next time, its things like
this that result in 100 dollar fees just to walk thru the door.

Do you think $400 was a fair price? The OP stated why he called a plumber.
The fact that the plumber was going to screw him is a good reason to say
"no". Fair price would have been about $100, not $400. Perhaps at $80 to
$100 he would have gotten the job. Yes, he may have gotten some value from
the expertise, but the quote is outrageous.

Thanks Edwin, I'm glad you understood my point, unlike Zephyr. Yes,
maybe he would've gotten my business if the charge was a more
reasonable $100.00.

If I take my car in the shop, and the mechanic says I need new brakes
and he'll put them on, for say, $2,000.00, then I should let him just
just because he told me what is wrong with it? Yes I should by your
logic Zephyr, which makes absolutely no sense. There is such a thing
as a free estimate, maybe you've heard of it. Someone tells you what
is wrong, for no charge, and if you like the price, you go with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Okay, your right, I'm a moron.
why don't you post the plumbers name so that all can be protected from his
evil ripoff scheme.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I had a plumber come out this weekend because I was getting some
vibrating noises in the pipes. I thought it was caused by a faulty
toilet (ballcock, intake tube) and air was getting in the pipes, but
wanted to be sure.

Anyway, he came out, and yes, he said that was what is causing the
pipe noise. He said I need a new ballcock, and needed to replace the
toilet emergency shut off valve because it was leaky. Fine.

Total charge=$400.00.

I told him "no thanks" and went to Home Depot, picked up about $20.00
worth of materials, and fixed it in about a half-hour or so. I could
buy a couple of brand new toilets for $400.00.

$400.00 dollars for a ballcock and valve installation. Crazy?

This reminds me of the cell phone commercial where the mobsters meet the
network geeks at the docks.

"Youse guys get signals out here?" ............ and they're all buddies.

Two things:

YOU GOT A PLUMBER TO COME OUT ON A WEEKEND! You need to seek some high
level corporate job with those skills.

He didn't stick you. He told you what was wrong, and didn't charge you,
right? He was at least honest because probably 95% of the people he tells
that to will run to HD and do it themselves.

He still makes good bucks at the ones who will pay the $400.

Now, if you paid him $400, that's another thread.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I had a plumber come out this weekend because I was getting some
vibrating noises in the pipes. I thought it was caused by a faulty
toilet (ballcock, intake tube) and air was getting in the pipes, but
wanted to be sure.

Anyway, he came out, and yes, he said that was what is causing the
pipe noise. He said I need a new ballcock, and needed to replace the
toilet emergency shut off valve because it was leaky. Fine.

Total charge=$400.00.

I told him "no thanks" and went to Home Depot, picked up about $20.00
worth of materials, and fixed it in about a half-hour or so. I could
buy a couple of brand new toilets for $400.00.

$400.00 dollars for a ballcock and valve installation. Crazy?

Way too much unless you are in NYC or some other crazy market in which case
I would say check with other plumbers in the same area.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 13:48:38 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Two things:

YOU GOT A PLUMBER TO COME OUT ON A WEEKEND! You need to seek some high
level corporate job with those skills.

I missed the part about the weekend. I wouldn't even try to get
someone on a weekend for mere noises. Drowning, maybe.

He didn't stick you. He told you what was wrong, and didn't charge you,
right?

It sounded that way to me, but I'm not sure.

He was at least honest because probably 95% of the people he tells
that to will run to HD and do it themselves.

He still makes good bucks at the ones who will pay the $400.

Maybe he thought it also had to be done on the weekend. And indeed it
did have to be, or he'd have to make a second trip.

Double time for weekends puts it at up to 200, iiuc, Edwin.

Now, if you paid him $400, that's another thread.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 4:28 pm, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:21:04 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote in message

If you knew what the problem was in the first place, why did you even
waste your time calling in the plumber?
seems to me even though you didn't pay the guy, his expertise was of some
value to you.

perhaps a consulting fee should be paid to him next time, its things like
this that result in 100 dollar fees just to walk thru the door.

Do you think $400 was a fair price? The OP stated why he called a plumber.
The fact that the plumber was going to screw him is a good reason to say
"no". Fair price would have been about $100, not $400. Perhaps at $80 to
$100 he would have gotten the job. Yes, he may have gotten some value from
the expertise, but the quote is outrageous.

For openers, the idiot called out a plumber on the WEEKEND for a non-emergency.
$400 seems very fair. I guess it might depend on where you live. Around here,
they would charge at least $200 just to show up. They would tell you this in
advance, of course.

CWM- Hide quoted text -

Well, I'm not the idiot here if you think $400.00 is fair for
something that costs $20.00 and 30 mins to fix. And when your pipes
rattle and sound like they are going to explode throughout the house,
that's enough emergency for me. Since I'm not a plumber, I couldn't
tell if it was an emergency or not. That's why I called one. Your
reading comprehension skills are lacking, and you obviously have never
seen the plastic parts inside a toilet. They aren't expensive. If he
would've charged me a more reasonable $100-150 or so, I probably
would've just paid him and been done with it.

Also, their two page ad in the yellow pages clearly stated, NO WEEKEND
FEES, NO OVERTIME FEES, FREE ESTIMATES. So, if they did charge more
than normal because it was a weekend, it was false advertising. Plus
the fact that they were about 3 hours late.

Obviously this company is still around because of suckers like you.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

Double time for weekends puts it at up to 200, iiuc, Edwin.

A woman at work decided to replace the gut of her toilet on a Saturday. She
ran into a problem with the shut-off valve and had to call a plumber. She
called Roto Rooter and paid $90 . This was in central Mass just a couple of
weeks ago. I thought that was reasonable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 01:45:10 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

Double time for weekends puts it at up to 200, iiuc, Edwin.

A woman at work decided to replace the gut of her toilet on a Saturday. She
ran into a problem with the shut-off valve and had to call a plumber. She
called Roto Rooter and paid $90 . This was in central Mass just a couple of
weeks ago. I thought that was reasonable.

Definitely.

I was trying to find reasons for the high charge.

Your story speaks well for roto-rooter. I hope I never need them.

My only weekend story involves a dentist. In NYC, Manhattan, I went
with my girl friend years ago to see friends of hers, that I knew too.

It was Sunday afternoon and the woman had a tooth ache, which she had
had since Friday night or Saturday morning. She was in a lot of pain,
even with aspirin or tylenol or something, but it didn't occur to
anyone to call a dentist. She was going to wait until Monday to call
her regular dentist. If you look in the NYC yellow pages there were
about 6 dentists in Manhattan alone that mentioned emergency weekend
appointments. Actually, I think the first 4 or 5 said they didn't do
it anymore, or they had a recording or a service that said that, but
the last one met her at his office in 20 minutes, fixed her up and
didn't seem to charge more than 50% more than anyone would, maybe
less, and they weren't poor so the money was no problem. In some
cases this would have been a temporary fix, needing another
appointment, but I think that would have been true even if her dentist
squeezed her in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

I was trying to find reasons for the high charge.

Your story speaks well for roto-rooter. I hope I never need them.

Surprised me. I always thought, they'd be on the high side with all the
franchise fees etc. I don't know if that is typical of them or how well
they are controlled by Roto Rooter corporate. Just getting someone out on a
Saturday is a feat. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DB" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Any possibility that the plumber picked up some bad vibes from the OP and
hit him with the high quote so he could exit quickly with no hassle.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom G" wrote in message

"DB" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

I'm willing to go with your theory, and I'm thinking this thread could be
exhibit A in your defense.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 6:18 am, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 9 Apr 2007 15:09:00 -0700, " wrote:

[...]

Well, I was trying to be nice and not mention what I really thought of you. You
stated you already knew what was needed before you ever called the plumber. You
just called him to "make sure" of your diagnosis, with no intention of ever
paying him a dime. You, sir, are a LEECH, a LIAR, and essentially a crook.

CWM- Hide quoted text -

Again, with the reading comprehension. Please re-read my posts before
you post. I thought I knew what was wrong with it. Wanted to be
sure. Had my checkbook ready because I called him out there to fix
the problem and was planning on paying him until he dropped that
ridiculous quote on me. Again, a more reasonable quote and he
would've gotten my business. I had EVERY intention of paying him. So
let me get this straight. If I call someone out to fix something, and
get quoted an outrageous charge, it's not ok to look elsewhere or just
try to fix it myself? I have to pay him or I am a crook?

I asked a master plumber friend of mine what I should have been
charged. He said maybe $125.00-$150.00 MAX. I think that's
reasonable. My friend does not live close by which is why I didn't ask
him to take a look at it.

I guess I'm a bad guy for not paying such an insanely high quote/
rate? You make no sense whatsover. Keep letting people take
advantage of you. I know plumbers/electricians etc are expensive, but
come on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The price is a bit high. Its not the cost of the parts but the time
to look at the job, get the parts, go back install the parts.
Lets face it, depending on the situation, maybe he'd have to spend 2
hours total on the job. That is why I think its priced a
bit high. If he'd have to spend 3 hours total then it gets more
realistic.
Also this guy has to pay for his own expenses.... running a truck,
insurance and business expenses (phone, electric, office)

Overall its not cheap, thats most likely why he asked for that money.

You cant compare that you just decided to go to home depot, buy the
parts and install them.
Doing things yourself will ALWAYS cost less, lets face it you are not
charging yourself a
salary to do it. But if you were a busy lawyer that charges 350 an
hour, then its easy to
say let someone else do it. Labor is always the most expensive parts
of a project.

In the same sense though people have no problem with bringing their
car to a auto repair shop
and getting charged for 3 hours of labor @ 90.00 an hour, then this
guy is basically spending the
same amount of time running around and doing your job. He should get
paid less? Why?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

There are garage door outfits that operate the same way. They advertise
cheap or free estimates and then they want $1000 to change some of the
hardware on the door. I threw the guy out and had a new door installed for
$600.

"Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Lets face it, depending on the situation, maybe he'd have to spend 2
hours total on the job. That is why I think its priced a
bit high. If he'd have to spend 3 hours total then it gets more
realistic.
Also this guy has to pay for his own expenses.... running a truck,
insurance and business expenses (phone, electric, office)

Maybe, this maybe that. Any plumber that would go to a residential job for a
toilet complaint and does not have parts on the truck should not be doing
the job anyway.

In the same sense though people have no problem with bringing their
car to a auto repair shop
and getting charged for 3 hours of labor @ 90.00 an hour, then this
guy is basically spending the
same amount of time running around and doing your job. He should get
paid less? Why?

That is your guess. If he is running around that moch to do a small job, he
is incompetant and should not do the job. This is a basic $80 to $100 job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 3:06 pm, " wrote:
Hello all,

I had a plumber come out this weekend because I was getting some
vibrating noises in the pipes. I thought it was caused by a faulty
toilet (ballcock, intake tube) and air was getting in the pipes, but
wanted to be sure.

Anyway, he came out, and yes, he said that was what is causing the
pipe noise. He said I need a new ballcock, and needed to replace the
toilet emergency shut off valve because it was leaky. Fine.

Total charge=$400.00.

I told him "no thanks" and went to Home Depot, picked up about $20.00
worth of materials, and fixed it in about a half-hour or so. I could
buy a couple of brand new toilets for $400.00.

$400.00 dollars for a ballcock and valve installation. Crazy?

When I have work done, I always ask for the rate before I have them
roll a truck.
Honest contractors charge by the hour with a minimum show up rate
usually one hour. + Materials used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope you paid his trip charge and at least half hour labor. He
did what you couldn't do. Diagnose the problem.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hello all,
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 1:28 pm, " wrote:
[...]

is wrong, for no charge, and if you like the price, you go with it.- Hide quoted text -

As long as the mechanic, plumber whatever clearly understands he is
going to be giving an estimate before he wastes his time thinking he
has a paying job.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 10:05 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I hope you paid his trip charge and at least half hour labor. He
did what you couldn't do. Diagnose the problem.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.

He didn't charge me anything, which I was thankful of, so it just
turned out to be a written estimate. An absolutely obscene estimate,
but an estimate at that. But if he would have charged me a fee for
just coming out I would have understood that and would have paid him
for at least coming out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 10:13 pm, "Harry K" wrote:
On Apr 9, 1:28 pm, " wrote:

[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

This company did "up-front pricing" which was good. They do this to
give the homeowner a chance to say yes or no to the job up-front. I
didn't like the price, felt it was extravagant, and he gave me an
estimate with no problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 11:08 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
Just getting someone out on a Saturday is a feat. .

Around here it's more like:
"Just getting someone to show up is a feat" (irregardles of the day of
the week).