Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Expensive Plumber-Tell me if this isn't ridiculous

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I had a plumber come out this weekend because I was getting some
vibrating noises in the pipes. I thought it was caused by a faulty
toilet (ballcock, intake tube) and air was getting in the pipes, but
wanted to be sure.

Anyway, he came out, and yes, he said that was what is causing the
pipe noise. He said I need a new ballcock, and needed to replace the
toilet emergency shut off valve because it was leaky. Fine.

Total charge=$400.00.

I told him "no thanks" and went to Home Depot, picked up about $20.00
worth of materials, and fixed it in about a half-hour or so. I could
buy a couple of brand new toilets for $400.00.

$400.00 dollars for a ballcock and valve installation. Crazy?

This reminds me of the cell phone commercial where the mobsters meet the
network geeks at the docks.

"Youse guys get signals out here?" ............ and they're all buddies.

Two things:

YOU GOT A PLUMBER TO COME OUT ON A WEEKEND! You need to seek some high
level corporate job with those skills.

He didn't stick you. He told you what was wrong, and didn't charge you,
right? He was at least honest because probably 95% of the people he tells
that to will run to HD and do it themselves.

He still makes good bucks at the ones who will pay the $400.

Now, if you paid him $400, that's another thread.

Steve