Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

Default Expensive Plumber-Tell me if this isn't ridiculous

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I had a plumber come out this weekend because I was getting some
vibrating noises in the pipes. I thought it was caused by a faulty
toilet (ballcock, intake tube) and air was getting in the pipes, but
wanted to be sure.

Anyway, he came out, and yes, he said that was what is causing the
pipe noise. He said I need a new ballcock, and needed to replace the
toilet emergency shut off valve because it was leaky. Fine.

Total charge=$400.00.

I told him "no thanks" and went to Home Depot, picked up about $20.00
worth of materials, and fixed it in about a half-hour or so. I could
buy a couple of brand new toilets for $400.00.

$400.00 dollars for a ballcock and valve installation. Crazy?

Way too much unless you are in NYC or some other crazy market in which case
I would say check with other plumbers in the same area.