Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Verizon DSL Filters ?

Hello:

Regarding those Verizon DSL filters that are supposed to be installed at
each phone jack.

No problem putting them in place, but was curious about just what they are
filtering.

Are they high pass or low pass filters ?

What gets through ?
The phone ring and the conversation I guess, but not the digital (high)
frequencies ?

What is the effect if you don't have one in place ?

B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.homephonewiring.com/dsl.html

Google will provide the above and lots of others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hello:

Regarding those Verizon DSL filters that are supposed to be installed at
each phone jack.

No problem putting them in place, but was curious about just what they are
filtering.

Are they high pass or low pass filters ?

What gets through ?
The phone ring and the conversation I guess, but not the digital (high)
frequencies ?

What is the effect if you don't have one in place ?

If you don't put them in place your conversations will sound extra crappy.
The filters are there to filter out the modem communications - if you're not
online you won't hear the static on the line.

Think of it this way, when you pick up the receiver and someone is already
on the line - what you hear is their conversation. If your computer is
dialed in and you pick up the receiver what you hear is the computer
"talking". The filters remove the computer's conversation from the line
YOU'RE on.

B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They are low pass filters and block the higher frequency signals for DSL.
Take one off and you will hear a hiss on the phone. Without them the DSL
signal is weaker since some of it is going into the phone.

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hello:

Regarding those Verizon DSL filters that are supposed to be installed at
each phone jack.

No problem putting them in place, but was curious about just what they are
filtering.

Are they high pass or low pass filters ?

What gets through ?
The phone ring and the conversation I guess, but not the digital (high)
frequencies ?

What is the effect if you don't have one in place ?

B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message

news

Hello:

Regarding those Verizon DSL filters that are supposed to be installed at
each phone jack.

No problem putting them in place, but was curious about just what they are
filtering.

Are they high pass or low pass filters ?

What gets through ?
The phone ring and the conversation I guess, but not the digital (high)
frequencies ?

What is the effect if you don't have one in place ?

B.- Hide quoted text -

better operation if you install a single filter at the NID or just
indoors with a single line for the computer.

My speeds improved a LOT with the central filter and less junk on
phones you no longer need filters at each phone

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

"Robert11" wrote in message

news

Hello:

Regarding those Verizon DSL filters that are supposed to be installed at
each phone jack.

No problem putting them in place, but was curious about just what they
are
filtering.

Are they high pass or low pass filters ?

What gets through ?
The phone ring and the conversation I guess, but not the digital (high)
frequencies ?

What is the effect if you don't have one in place ?

B.- Hide quoted text -

better operation if you install a single filter at the NID or just
indoors with a single line for the computer.

My speeds improved a LOT with the central filter and less junk on
phones you no longer need filters at each phone

If you put a filter at the jack where the computer is you won't be able to
get online. The filter removes the communication between the modem and the
hub. That's how the Qwest filters worked anyway. So centrally locating the
filter would block out all the signals coming from the modem. It's possible
that Verizon is using a different mechanism for filtering their signals.
But as Jeff keeps harping on, they really are just simple frequency filters

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 12:27�am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

"Robert11" wrote in message

[...]

But as Jeff keeps harping on, they really are just simple frequency filters- Hide quoted text -

i should of explained better at the main entrance you put a central
high quality filter, but take one lead off before the filter it feeds
the computer.

with a older homes wiring this helpas improve operations a lot

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 31, 12:27�am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

"Robert11" wrote in message

[...]

Okay I see what you're saying.

BTW and totally OT, but I since migrating to Vista I noticed that Microsoft
Mail won't put the "" characters in front of the replied to text like the
previous version did. It makes it really tough to follow a conversation
unless you add them in yourself.

Air Filters - Questions re the ones for the HVAC and seperate plug-in type air filters. Ron Cliborn Home Repair 3 August 13th 06 05:37 PM
Yet more spam from verizon.net JeffM Home Ownership 0 May 18th 06 11:13 PM
Verizon FiOS Service Robert Fenster Home Repair 10 January 22nd 06 12:37 AM
Verizon DSL Brandystew Woodworking 46 January 5th 05 04:42 PM
Verizon DSL Brandystew Home Repair 16 November 26th 04 02:39 PM