Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Verizon DSL Filters ?

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 31, 12:27�am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...
On Mar 30, 8:41?pm, "Jeff" wrote:

They are low pass filters and block the higher frequency signals for
DSL.
Take one off and you will hear a hiss on the phone. ?Without them the
DSL
signal is weaker since some of it is going into the phone.

"Robert11" wrote in message

news

Hello:

Regarding those Verizon DSL filters that are supposed to be installed
at
each phone jack.

No problem putting them in place, but was curious about just what they
are
filtering.

Are they high pass or low pass filters ?

What gets through ?
The phone ring and the conversation I guess, but not the digital
(high)
frequencies ?

What is the effect if you don't have one in place ?

B.- Hide quoted text -

better operation if you install a single filter at the NID or just
indoors with a single line for the computer.

My speeds improved a LOT with the central filter and less junk on
phones you no longer need filters at each phone

If you put a filter at the jack where the computer is you won't be able to
get online. �The filter removes the communication between the modem and
the
hub. �That's how the Qwest filters worked anyway. �So centrally locating
the
filter would block out all the signals coming from the modem. �It's
possible
that Verizon is using a different mechanism for filtering their signals.
But as Jeff keeps harping on, they really are just simple frequency
filters- Hide quoted text -

i should of explained better at the main entrance you put a central
high quality filter, but take one lead off before the filter it feeds
the computer.

with a older homes wiring this helpas improve operations a lot

Okay I see what you're saying.

BTW and totally OT, but I since migrating to Vista I noticed that Microsoft
Mail won't put the "" characters in front of the replied to text like the
previous version did. It makes it really tough to follow a conversation
unless you add them in yourself.