Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fast start fluorescent tubes

I have a bunch of the "inexpensive" fluorescent under-cabinet lights
in my kitchen. The typical $10 big box store ones. Recently, one of
the tubes burned out, so I bought replacement, a regular old F8T5WW.
The other tubes all do the 3 second flicker before they turn on, but
this new tube snaps right on at full brightness.

Did I just get lucky, or are new tubes like that now? Is there a
different type that I didn't notice on the shelf? For the few $ it
will cost, I'd replace the other 5 to match if I thought they would
all do the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew Duane wrote:
I have a bunch of the "inexpensive" fluorescent under-cabinet lights
in my kitchen. The typical $10 big box store ones. Recently, one of
the tubes burned out, so I bought replacement, a regular old F8T5WW.
The other tubes all do the 3 second flicker before they turn on, but
this new tube snaps right on at full brightness.

Did I just get lucky, or are new tubes like that now? Is there a
different type that I didn't notice on the shelf? For the few $ it
will cost, I'd replace the other 5 to match if I thought they would
all do the same.

I would not say all new tubes are like that, but likely all of the same
model and brand are. Of course they may have made that change without
changing the part number so there may be a mix on the shelf with no way of
telling the difference and they may change suppliers tomorrow and you may
get more like the others. I suggest buying one more, it will not break you
and having a spare is always a good idea. If it works the same, I would get
a complete set. If the rest are all the same age, they are not likely to
last that much longer.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 2:34�pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Andrew Duane wrote:
[...]

new bulbs tend to light faster espically if the ends have darkened,
eventually they dont lite at all and get replaced

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrew Duane" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a bunch of the "inexpensive" fluorescent under-cabinet lights
in my kitchen. The typical $10 big box store ones. Recently, one of
the tubes burned out, so I bought replacement, a regular old F8T5WW.
The other tubes all do the 3 second flicker before they turn on, but
this new tube snaps right on at full brightness.

F8t5 suggests the unit has an electronic ballast, which don't flicker and
start up almost immediately, plus they run cooler. Are the others all the
same as this one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob M. wrote:

"Andrew Duane" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a bunch of the "inexpensive" fluorescent under-cabinet lights
in my kitchen. The typical $10 big box store ones. Recently, one of
the tubes burned out, so I bought replacement, a regular old F8T5WW.
The other tubes all do the 3 second flicker before they turn on, but
this new tube snaps right on at full brightness.

F8t5 suggests the unit has an electronic ballast, which don't flicker
and start up almost immediately, plus they run cooler. Are the others
all the same as this one?

As I recall, there were 3 flavors of fl lamps,
pre-heat(starter/button), rapid-start(shunted filament
winding), and instant start(inductive kick?). They had
different filament current ratings. One version only takes
1/2 the current, and if used with the wrong ballast, would
"start" real fast. But at twice the rated current, would
burn open in a short time.

You might have this problem. I think there was a label on
the fixture "use only RS lamps"

Maybe Don K will correct me, or check out his page-

members.misty.com/don/index.html

-larry / dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair

"larry" wrote in message
Bob M. wrote:

"Andrew Duane" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a bunch of the "inexpensive" fluorescent under-cabinet lights
in my kitchen. The typical $10 big box store ones. Recently, one of
the tubes burned out, so I bought replacement, a regular old F8T5WW.
The other tubes all do the 3 second flicker before they turn on, but
this new tube snaps right on at full brightness.

F8t5 suggests the unit has an electronic ballast, which don't flicker and
start up almost immediately, plus they run cooler. Are the others all
the same as this one?

As I recall, there were 3 flavors of fl lamps, pre-heat(starter/button),
rapid-start(shunted filament winding), and instant start(inductive kick?).
They had

Perhaps for magnetic ballasts, but for electronic ballasts I don't think
that's true because by their nature they are all rapid-start or instant
start and don't need a starter. There IS a rating for sound on electronic
ballasts though; junk units do buzz, but a decent-quality unit is inaudible
from within inches of the unit.