Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fast start fluorescent tubes

On Mar 26, 2:34�pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Andrew Duane wrote:
I have a bunch of the "inexpensive" fluorescent under-cabinet lights
in my kitchen. The typical $10 big box store ones. Recently, one of
the tubes burned out, so I bought replacement, a regular old F8T5WW.
The other tubes all do the 3 second flicker before they turn on, but
this new tube snaps right on at full brightness.

Did I just get lucky, or are new tubes like that now? Is there a
different type that I didn't notice on the shelf? For the few $ it
will cost, I'd replace the other 5 to match if I thought they would
all do the same.

* * I would not say all new tubes are like that, but likely all of the same
model and brand are. *Of course they may have made that change without
changing the part number so there may be a mix on the shelf with no way of
telling the difference and they may change suppliers tomorrow and you may
get more like the others. *I suggest buying one more, it will not break you
and having a spare is always a good idea. *If it works the same, I would get
a complete set. * If the rest are all the same age, they are not likely to
last that much longer.

--
Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit

new bulbs tend to light faster espically if the ends have darkened,
eventually they dont lite at all and get replaced