Posted to alt.home.repair
larry larry is offline

Default Fast start fluorescent tubes

Bob M. wrote:

"Andrew Duane" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a bunch of the "inexpensive" fluorescent under-cabinet lights
in my kitchen. The typical $10 big box store ones. Recently, one of
the tubes burned out, so I bought replacement, a regular old F8T5WW.
The other tubes all do the 3 second flicker before they turn on, but
this new tube snaps right on at full brightness.

F8t5 suggests the unit has an electronic ballast, which don't flicker
and start up almost immediately, plus they run cooler. Are the others
all the same as this one?

As I recall, there were 3 flavors of fl lamps,
pre-heat(starter/button), rapid-start(shunted filament
winding), and instant start(inductive kick?). They had
different filament current ratings. One version only takes
1/2 the current, and if used with the wrong ballast, would
"start" real fast. But at twice the rated current, would
burn open in a short time.

You might have this problem. I think there was a label on
the fixture "use only RS lamps"

Maybe Don K will correct me, or check out his page-

members.misty.com/don/index.html

-larry / dallas