Dave Plowman (News)

Default Fluorescent tubes.

I've got a dud fluorescent tube in my workshop (two twin 6ft fittings over
the benches) and since one other is looking a bit dull, I'm going to
change the lot. They are the originals that came with the fittings, so
just bog standard white.

Any better alternatives without going to super expensive types?

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Wade

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've got a dud fluorescent tube in my workshop (two twin 6ft fittings over
the benches) and since one other is looking a bit dull, I'm going to
change the lot. They are the originals that came with the fittings, so
just bog standard white.

Any better alternatives without going to super expensive types?

Triphosphor tubes seem to have come down in price a lot recently[*], so
I'd certainly go for those rather than a bog-standard 3500 K
halophosphate type. You'll get more lumens per watt and better colour
rendering. I like Philips 'Colour 840' (4000 K triphosphor), but they
also do 2700 and 3500 K versions if you want something a touch 'warmer.'
[*] Four 5ft. 58W TLD 840 tubes cost me less than ten quid from the
local branch of Newey & Eyre last November - hardly expensive. In any
case the cost of the tube is sweet FA compared to the cost of the
electricity it will use during its life...

--
Andy

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've got a dud fluorescent tube in my workshop (two twin 6ft fittings

over
the benches) and since one other is looking a bit dull, I'm going to
change the lot. They are the originals that came with the fittings,

so
just bog standard white.

Any better alternatives without going to super expensive types?

the ones just marked 'white' at the end are not especially good light
quality. 3500K are much nicer. Or, as mentioned, triphosphors are an
option now. I would steer away from 4000K or 4500K though, not nice.
The disaster ones are cool white and 4500K - and 6800K if you ever come
across those, even worse.

NT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
[*] Four 5ft. 58W TLD 840 tubes cost me less than ten quid from the
local branch of Newey & Eyre last November - hardly expensive. In any
case the cost of the tube is sweet FA compared to the cost of the
electricity it will use during its life...

About double that for four 6 ft 75 watt. ;-) From Wholesale Fittings. Be
in tomorrow.

--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *