Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing Tile over a hardwood floor

I'm looking at installing tile over my parkay flooring. reason is
the entire parkay flooring is held down with an adhesive. and
almost impossible to completely remove. underneath the parkay
flooring is the concrete slab/foundation of the home.

I have been told not a good idea to go right over the top of the
parkay. that the tile will crack and buckle. And that i should use
some kind of thin set sheeting and attach it to the hardwood and
then tile onto it. I hve no idea what this "sheeting is" or where
to purchase i. or even if this would be the best popssible way tp
tackle this.. anyone with real world/professional expertise willing
to help "inform" me of the correct proceedure would be greatly
appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 6:18�pm, wrote:
I'm *looking at installing tile over my *parkay flooring. *reason *is
the entire parkay flooring is held down *with *an adhesive. *and
almost impossible to *completely remove. *underneath the parkay
flooring is the concrete slab/foundation of the home.

I *have been *told not a good idea to *go *right over the top of the
parkay. that the tile will *crack *and buckle. *And that i should use
some kind of thin set sheeting and attach *it to *the hardwood and
then *tile onto it. I *hve no idea what this "sheeting is" or where
to *purchase i. *or *even *if this would be the best popssible way tp
tackle this.. *anyone with *real world/professional expertise willing
to help "inform" me of the correct proceedure would be greatly
appreciated.

remove the parkay wood, heat with heat gun. its not impossible just a
lot or work.

if you add a layer steps will miss match and be real trip hazard

goof off or goo gone does remove adhesive residue

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking at installing tile over my parkay flooring. reason is
the entire parkay flooring is held down with an adhesive. and
almost impossible to completely remove. underneath the parkay
flooring is the concrete slab/foundation of the home.

I have been told not a good idea to go right over the top of the
parkay. that the tile will crack and buckle. And that i should use
some kind of thin set sheeting and attach it to the hardwood and
then tile onto it. I hve no idea what this "sheeting is" or where
to purchase i. or even if this would be the best popssible way tp
tackle this.. anyone with real world/professional expertise willing
to help "inform" me of the correct proceedure would be greatly
appreciated.

I'm not a tile setter but a close friend used to manage a tile company. The
word is that this has changed over the last few years due to new adhesives
that are now available. The key criterion is stability ... the under-floor
must be stable ... no movement, no cracks.

I'd guess that you can successfully lay tile over the parkay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 7:14�pm, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

boy I wouldnt, tile is forever. concrete floor may have unseen cracks,
cant fix what you cant see

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd guess that you can successfully lay tile over the parkay.

boy I wouldnt, tile is forever. concrete floor may have unseen cracks,
cant fix what you cant see

Almost all concrete floors have cracks. Concrete shrinks as it cures.

If there is shifting or settling involved, then rugs are the best solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
The key criterion is stability ... the under-floor must be stable ... no
movement, no cracks.

I'd guess that you can successfully lay tile over the parkay.

There is nothing stable about a wood floor that expands and contracts.

I'd do the job right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , justadilettante says...

parquet, not parkay

Butter. :-)

wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm looking at installing tile over my parkay flooring. reason is
the entire parkay flooring is held down with an adhesive. and
almost impossible to completely remove. underneath the parkay
flooring is the concrete slab/foundation of the home.

I have been told not a good idea to go right over the top of the
parkay. that the tile will crack and buckle. And that i should use
some kind of thin set sheeting and attach it to the hardwood and
then tile onto it. I hve no idea what this "sheeting is" or where
to purchase i. or even if this would be the best popssible way tp
tackle this.. anyone with real world/professional expertise willing
to help "inform" me of the correct proceedure would be greatly
appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"justadilettante" wrote in message
parquet, not parkay

Maybe the wood was BUTTERnut

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 4:18 pm, wrote:
I'm looking at installing tile over my parkay flooring. reason is
the entire parkay flooring is held down with an adhesive. and
almost impossible to completely remove. underneath the parkay
flooring is the concrete slab/foundation of the home.

I have been told not a good idea to go right over the top of the
parkay. that the tile will crack and buckle. And that i should use
some kind of thin set sheeting and attach it to the hardwood and
then tile onto it. I hve no idea what this "sheeting is" or where
to purchase i. or even if this would be the best popssible way tp
tackle this.. anyone with real world/professional expertise willing
to help "inform" me of the correct proceedure would be greatly
appreciated.

I just faced a similar issue in my house. We took up the parquet in
the entrance way and laid down a glueless laminate throughout half the
house. The parquet was difficult to remove, but with a claw and a
hammer and some hard work, it came up. There was a lot of adhesive
underneath, too. Little by little, it worked. I found a couple cracks
underneath on the cement slap that we were able to float before
installing the new floor.