Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Installing hardwood floor

I'm going to be installing a mesquite floor in a few days. It's solid 1/2"
thick flooring in a glue-down application. The adhesive I'm using is
Bostik's Best. It's a urethane adhesive that when cured is still elastic
which allows the wood to move. The space I'm putting it in is new
construction and currently has just the 3/4" subfloor. I'm wondering if I
should put down something like 1/4" plywood over the subfloor before laying
the floor or just laying right on top of the subfloor.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
bc

todd wrote:
I'm going to be installing a mesquite floor in a few days. It's solid 1/2"
thick flooring in a glue-down application. The adhesive I'm using is
Bostik's Best. It's a urethane adhesive that when cured is still elastic
which allows the wood to move. The space I'm putting it in is new
construction and currently has just the 3/4" subfloor. I'm wondering if I
should put down something like 1/4" plywood over the subfloor before laying
the floor or just laying right on top of the subfloor.

todd

Two questions: First, how long is the flooring warrentied for? which
leads to the second, how easily do you want to be able to get it up?
If you don't think you will ever have to remove it then skip the 1/4"
ply, but if there is even the remotest possibility that you will have
to remove it, use the 1/4" ply. I had to remove a floor that I put
down with adhesive and that stuff is a mess, luckily I had used 1/4"
ply under it and so even though it was a pain prying the plywood up,
because I nailed it every six inches like you're supposed to, it was
nothing compared to trying to clean that adhesive off the floor to put
down another one. I suppose that after you pry the tile off the floor
you could cover the remaining adhesive with 1/4 " ply, but you would
have to worry about getting it level and prying it loose in the first
place is no easy task. In my case the screws and ring shank nails came
loose before the adhesive gave way. Any way that's my experience hope
it helps. bc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

On Mon, 1 May 2006 21:53:07 -0500, "todd" wrote:

I'm going to be installing a mesquite floor in a few days. It's solid 1/2"
thick flooring in a glue-down application. The adhesive I'm using is
Bostik's Best. It's a urethane adhesive that when cured is still elastic
which allows the wood to move. The space I'm putting it in is new
construction and currently has just the 3/4" subfloor. I'm wondering if I
should put down something like 1/4" plywood over the subfloor before laying
the floor or just laying right on top of the subfloor.

todd

What is the sub-floor?

In any case, the flooring should acclimate -on site- a minimum of 10
days before installation.

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"todd" wrote in message
I'm going to be installing a mesquite floor in a few days. It's solid
1/2" thick flooring in a glue-down application. The adhesive I'm using is
Bostik's Best. It's a urethane adhesive that when cured is still elastic
which allows the wood to move. The space I'm putting it in is new
construction and currently has just the 3/4" subfloor. I'm wondering if I
should put down something like 1/4" plywood over the subfloor before
laying the floor or just laying right on top of the subfloor.

todd

I would think that if your subfloor is stable and solid, you'd be fine to
glue down to it. However, 1/4" ply seems a small price to pay for easier
sleep. On another note, have you used this adhesive before? If not, it's
a bloody mess. Gets everywhere and once dried, is a bear to remove. Key
is to be very anal about cleaning as you go and be careful not to track the
stuff on your feet anywhere. Another tip, get their Bostik's Adhesive
Remover (the bottle, not the wipes---they work but not that great) as it
cleans much better/quicker than mineral spirits. I've put down 3 rooms
with Bostik's and finally on the last one, I was able to do it without too
much mess. Good luck with it!
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"bc" wrote in message
oups.com...

todd wrote:
[...]

As for the warranty, I don't actually know what (if any) warranty there is.
I'm not even sure what it would be warranted against. It's just a machined
piece of wood.

As for the underlayment, I'm leaning toward putting down a layer of 1/4". I
don't imagine ever having to take this stuff up, but if I ever did, it would
be a disaster getting it up. What would suggest using the fasten the 1/4"
to the subfloor?

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"Joe" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 May 2006 21:53:07 -0500, "todd" wrote:

I'm going to be installing a mesquite floor in a few days. It's solid
1/2"
thick flooring in a glue-down application. The adhesive I'm using is
Bostik's Best. It's a urethane adhesive that when cured is still elastic
which allows the wood to move. The space I'm putting it in is new
construction and currently has just the 3/4" subfloor. I'm wondering if I
should put down something like 1/4" plywood over the subfloor before
laying
the floor or just laying right on top of the subfloor.

todd

What is the sub-floor?

In any case, the flooring should acclimate -on site- a minimum of 10
days before installation.

The subfloor is 3/4" plywood. The material is sitting in the space right
now. I don't know if I can wait 10 days...it will be more like 5, but it
shouldn't be a problem. Mesquite is one of, if not the most dimensionally
stable woods out there. It has about 1/3 the amount of dimensional change
in comparison to red oak.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

Todd - I think you should put down the subfloor. It will make the
substrate more stable, and if you have an accident or there is an
unforseen accident and need to repair the floor it is much simpler than
tearing out the ACTUAL subfloor down to the joists just to repair the
floor. The adhesive you are using will not let go; not now, maybe not
ever.

From that standpoint, good choice!

Personally, I would never direct glue. You are on the right track with
a subfloor.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
bc

todd wrote:
As for the underlayment, I'm leaning toward putting down a layer of 1/4". I
don't imagine ever having to take this stuff up, but if I ever did, it would
be a disaster getting it up. What would suggest using the fasten the 1/4"
to the subfloor?

todd

I've always used galvinized screws or ring shank nails every six
inches. bc