mwlogs

Default Hardwood floor - what direction

It's a little late to ask, since they are here installing the floor now, but
there is a question on which way the floor should be laid in relation to the
floor joist. The joist run perpendicular on the new addition to those in
the old area, and we'd really like to keep the floor running the same
direction throughout. the new area is a family room that opens off the new
kitchen that is in the old area. There really isn't a good place to
'transition' from one direction to the other.

The installers say it isn't an issue, just run it all the one way (which is
perpendicular to the new joist). The general contractor says we should
transition. I've opted for the flooring guy's opinion, and the builder has
pretty much given in, but says if there are problems it will be the flooring
guys responsibility to fix it.

Should I sleep well tonight with the floor looking the way I would like it
to look, or should I toss and turn knowing I'll have flooring problems down
the road?

Thanks group! You've been a good resource (for useful info and humor!) over
the years!

Mark

G Henslee

mwlogs wrote:
[...]

As with most 'finish' flooring, with an adequate subfloor to install
over it shouldn't be an issue.
Duane Bozarth

mwlogs wrote:

[...]

It sounds like you're saying the new flooring is perpendicular to the
new joists and the old is parallel? I'm surprised the contractor
wouldn't be pleased if that is the case as that is the normal. Whether
I'd be concerned at all depends on what the underlayment is and what the
flooring actually is--I'm assuming you're talking strip wood but don't
say whether it's one of the prefinished products or traditional.
Don Phillipson

"mwlogs" wrote in message
. ..

. . . they are here installing the floor now, but
there is a question on which way the floor should be laid in relation to

the
floor joist. The joist run perpendicular on the new addition to those in
the old area, and we'd really like to keep the floor running the same
direction throughout. the new area is a family room that opens off the

new
kitchen that is in the old area. There really isn't a good place to
'transition' from one direction to the other.

You are not limited to two directions, at right angles
to each other. We had an L-shaped room floored in
hardwood about four years ago and chose to place the
flooring on the diagonal (within a 3-board border along
each wall with one contrasting strip, dark instead of light.)
This was the right decision in our case. It cost extra (all
those 45-degree cuts) but everyone likes it.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Edwin Pawlowski

"mwlogs" wrote in message
The joist run perpendicular on the new addition to those in the old area,
and we'd really like to keep the floor running the same direction
throughout. the new area is a family room that opens off the new kitchen
that is in the old area. There really isn't a good place to 'transition'
from one direction to the other.

The installers say it isn't an issue, just run it all the one way (which
is perpendicular to the new joist). The general contractor says we should
transition.

If the finished floor is nail to the sub floor, it does not matter. If the
subfloor is plywood, it will not matter.

Sleep well.

Todd H.

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
"mwlogs" wrote in message
The joist run perpendicular on the new addition to those in the old area,
and we'd really like to keep the floor running the same direction
throughout. the new area is a family room that opens off the new kitchen
that is in the old area. There really isn't a good place to 'transition'
from one direction to the other.

The installers say it isn't an issue, just run it all the one way (which
is perpendicular to the new joist). The general contractor says we should
transition.

If the finished floor is nail to the sub floor, it does not matter. If the
subfloor is plywood, it will not matter.

If I recall correctly, I have some hardwood flooring in one room that
ran on what I'll call slats--maybe 2" wide each, and oh, 1/2 or 3/4"
thick that were on top of subfloor. The hardood strip direction was
perpendicular to these slats. I saw the slats when I had to replace
some rotted oak strips in the middle of the room.

Dunno if that helps the OP any though.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Gort

mwlogs wrote:
[...]

The advice I was given is to be sure the subfloor is solid, and the
boards should point to the source of light... windows, glass doors, etc.
Any needed transitions can be done at a doorway.
So far they've all come out looking ok.

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.