Todd H.

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
"mwlogs" wrote in message
The joist run perpendicular on the new addition to those in the old area,
and we'd really like to keep the floor running the same direction
throughout. the new area is a family room that opens off the new kitchen
that is in the old area. There really isn't a good place to 'transition'
from one direction to the other.

The installers say it isn't an issue, just run it all the one way (which
is perpendicular to the new joist). The general contractor says we should
transition.

If the finished floor is nail to the sub floor, it does not matter. If the
subfloor is plywood, it will not matter.

If I recall correctly, I have some hardwood flooring in one room that
ran on what I'll call slats--maybe 2" wide each, and oh, 1/2 or 3/4"
thick that were on top of subfloor. The hardood strip direction was
perpendicular to these slats. I saw the slats when I had to replace
some rotted oak strips in the middle of the room.

Dunno if that helps the OP any though.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/