Posted to alt.home.repair

Default another question on wattage

Hi all,

Thanks for the clarifications with my question about energy saving
bulbs and wattage.

And while we are still on the subject, I would like to ask one more
related question...

I once bought a fixture made in Poland (I live in the US). The seller
told me I can use 60W bulbs. The fixture turned out to be marked for
use with 75W bulbs, and there was a sticker on each socket telling me
to use 40W bulbs.

I use 40W bulbs to be on the safe side, but...

What is the issue here? 220V versus 110V? Or something else?

Thanks,
Arkadiy

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "Arkadiy" wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the clarifications with my question about energy saving
bulbs and wattage.

And while we are still on the subject, I would like to ask one more
related question...

I once bought a fixture made in Poland (I live in the US). The seller
told me I can use 60W bulbs. The fixture turned out to be marked for
use with 75W bulbs, and there was a sticker on each socket telling me
to use 40W bulbs.

I use 40W bulbs to be on the safe side, but...

What is the issue here? 220V versus 110V? Or something else?

The issue is heat. More watts mean the fixture will get hotter.
At some point, the fixture will be damaged -- plastic parts
including insulation can melt. In the extreme, they start to
burn and you have a fire.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

Arkadiy wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the clarifications with my question about energy saving
bulbs and wattage.

And while we are still on the subject, I would like to ask one more
related question...

I once bought a fixture made in Poland (I live in the US). The seller
told me I can use 60W bulbs. The fixture turned out to be marked for
use with 75W bulbs, and there was a sticker on each socket telling me
to use 40W bulbs.

I use 40W bulbs to be on the safe side, but...

What is the issue here? 220V versus 110V? Or something else?

Thanks,
Arkadiy

Assuming it has UL or CSA or CE markings on it, you can go by the printed
wattage. Take not though whether it means two 80W bulbs, or two 40W bulbs
for a total of 80 watts.
You're right, the wattage would be the same for `120 or 240, but the
bulbs obviously wouldn't be the same bulbs.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have never seen conflicting information like that, but maybe someone
replaced the sockets or there is some confusion between the fixture total
wattage and the individual socket wattage. In any case I would recommend
doing as you have done and go by the lowest rating.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

oups.com...

Dimmer switch wattage Buzby UK diy 9 June 20th 06 10:54 PM
portable generator question (wattage) Bill Home Repair 23 January 1st 06 08:13 AM
Another Question on Light Bulb Wattage Corinne Home Repair 14 March 30th 05 06:55 AM
Kitchen lighting/wattage question Julie Home Repair 8 December 23rd 04 02:44 AM
question about radio wattage Chris Electronics 6 February 17th 04 12:08 AM