Electronics (alt.electronics)

Chris

Default question about radio wattage

I've noticed that alot of CB radios, handhelds for example, have a maximum
allowable transmit rating of 4 watts. I was wondering, is there a way to
boost this beyond the 4, or is it a factory setting which cannot be altered?

Not looking to violate FCC rules, just curious if it can in theory be done,
how it might be done, and what might be an advantage.

I notice they have a receive range of 7 watts, so I'm wondering why have
such a higher range of receiving, if you can't transmit within the same
area. Seems abit unfair.

Cowboy67

Most all CB's can be boosted by turning a little pot in the radio. It may
take you up to 10 W of power, but then your final will/may burn up a lot
quicker. There are also mods where you replace components. Do a google
search type "CB power mods" you will find a lot of info. But beware, a lot
will do more harm than good.

Also, the FCC rule of thumb is that you are not supposed to transmit over 50
miles, but on HF, who knows how far you can go.

cowboy67

"Chris" wrote in message
. com...
I've noticed that alot of CB radios, handhelds for example, have a maximum
allowable transmit rating of 4 watts. I was wondering, is there a way to
boost this beyond the 4, or is it a factory setting which cannot be

altered?

Not looking to violate FCC rules, just curious if it can in theory be

done,
how it might be done, and what might be an advantage.

I notice they have a receive range of 7 watts, so I'm wondering why have
such a higher range of receiving, if you can't transmit within the same
area. Seems abit unfair.

Chris

"Cowboy67" wrote in message
Most all CB's can be boosted by turning a little pot in the radio. It may
take you up to 10 W of power, but then your final will/may burn up a lot
quicker. There are also mods where you replace components. Do a google
search type "CB power mods" you will find a lot of info. But beware, a lot
will do more harm than good.

Also, the FCC rule of thumb is that you are not supposed to transmit over

50
miles, but on HF, who knows how far you can go.

cowboy67

Thanks, cowboy.

While I'm here, can anyone tell me if there's a major advantage of one type
of radio over another? I mean, CB, FRS, Ham, UHF, VHF, etc.. Seems like
there are alot of different ranges, channels, and all that good stuff. Why
are VHF radios so damned expensive? Even the handhelds cost upwards of
$200.

Don Rupanovic

VHF Radios are actually a WHOLE LOT cheaper than a UHF radio. Check out
www.aesham.com and you can see the difference (i.e.- ADI AR147 VHF Mobile is
149.99 and the ADI AR447 UHF Mobile is 209.99)

You can find really inexpensive HT's there as well.

HTH
Don
KC8BQR

"Chris" wrote in message
m...

"Cowboy67" wrote in message
[...]

JeffM

CB radios...maximum allowable transmit rating of 4 watts.
...boost this beyond the 4 ?
Chris

No part in a CB is overspec'd.
Push them beyond design limits and they will fail.
Some people flaunt the law and use a 10 meter linear amplifier
which has been re-tuned to 11 meters (27MHz).
See courtroom comment below.

Not looking to violate FCC rules

Then forget the whole idea.
A federal courtroom is not a place you want to spend your time.

Chris

"JeffM" wrote in message
om...
CB radios...maximum allowable transmit rating of 4 watts.
...boost this beyond the 4 ?
Chris

No part in a CB is overspec'd.
Push them beyond design limits and they will fail.
Some people flaunt the law and use a 10 meter linear amplifier
which has been re-tuned to 11 meters (27MHz).
See courtroom comment below.

Not looking to violate FCC rules

Then forget the whole idea.
A federal courtroom is not a place you want to spend your time.

Not everyone doesn't mean what they say. I was asking hypothetically.
I normally don't reply to such comments, but in this case I will.

#1 Parts are indeed "overspec'd", all the time. If it wasn't viable, or
productive, no one would do it. So I suggest you educate yourself. If I
could find this out in 20 minutes of search time, you should have no
trouble.

#2 I didn't say I was going to violate FCC regs. My question was a
technology one. If I was going to break the law, I sure as hell wouldn't
make a post about it, Sherlock. Telling someone who already said they
wouldn't, not to, is called beating a dead horse.

You must be fun at parties.

JeffM

Parts are indeed "overspec'd", all the time
Chris

I'm thinking of the highly competitive nature of consumer gear
where the bean-counters rule the roost.
A manufacturer is not going to invest a penny more than he has to
to build the final amplifier in a CB radio.
The final will likely be the 1st thing to go boom.