Posted to uk.d-i-y
Buzby

Default Dimmer switch wattage

I've just replaced a light fitting that now has seven 60w bulbs in rather
than the one 100w - my dimmer switch is rated 250w - I assume as the lights
are presumably wired in parallel this is ok - or should I look for a higher
loaded dimmer switch? FWIW it works fine making no noise to suggest it's
overloaded.

TIA

Buzby

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Buzby wrote:

I've just replaced a light fitting that now has seven 60w bulbs in rather
than the one 100w - my dimmer switch is rated 250w

Err, 7 x 60w = 420w, so it *is* overloaded

it works fine making no noise to suggest it's overloaded.

wait for the noise of the fire service's sirens ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Buzby wrote:

I've just replaced a light fitting that now has seven 60w bulbs in rather
than the one 100w - my dimmer switch is rated 250w

Err, 7 x 60w = 420w, so it *is* overloaded

it works fine making no noise to suggest it's overloaded.

wait for the noise of the fire service's sirens ...

420w, he must have a big house! Either that or its one of those strange
people that dim their 420w to give out the light of 100w instead of
replacing the 60s with 25s.

If you dim bulbs they still consume most of their power rating, so
using a dimmer with this will cost you silly money, plus heat your
house up all summer. As an example, a 500w bulb dimmed to the output of
a 40watter eats 300w.

If you had 100w there before, you're unlikely to need more than 250w.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:04:24 +0100, Buzby wrote:

I've just replaced a light fitting that now has seven 60w bulbs in
rather than the one 100w - my dimmer switch is rated 250w - I assume as
the lights are presumably wired in parallel this is ok

Simple maths. What is the total load now? 7 * 60 = 420W

Is this total load greater than the rating of your dimmer switch (250W),
yes, therfore it is is overloaded.

It may well work but will get hotter than designed and either fail early,
become a fire hazard, so hot as to burn someone who touches it or all
three.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Buzby

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:04:24 +0100, Buzby wrote:

I've just replaced a light fitting that now has seven 60w bulbs in
rather than the one 100w - my dimmer switch is rated 250w - I assume as
the lights are presumably wired in parallel this is ok

Simple maths. What is the total load now? 7 * 60 = 420W

Is this total load greater than the rating of your dimmer switch (250W),
yes, therfore it is is overloaded.

It may well work but will get hotter than designed and either fail early,
become a fire hazard, so hot as to burn someone who touches it or all
three.

Thanks for that.

Having actually looked at the bulbs, as opposed to being told what they are
by SWMBO, they are in fact 25W.

On the upside I've learned something new today.

Cheers

Buzby

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:
I've just replaced a light fitting that now has seven 60w bulbs in rather
than the one 100w

Have you heard of global warming?

Hint: 420W of bulbs in your lounge is as obscene as a Range Rover Sport in
Chelsea.

my dimmer switch is rated 250w - I assume as the lights
are presumably wired in parallel this is ok

Of course it isn't. Did you actually go to school?

Christian.

Ive got a total of 500W in mine and its still not enough for 30 sq meters...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Ive got a total of 500W in mine and its still not enough for 30 sq
meters...

My lounge uses 22W and is too bright. It is much smaller, though. Most of my
rooms get by on 15W, except the kitchen, which has a gas guzzling 116W, but
is very well lit under the cupboards (4x16W + 30W).

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

Hint: 420W of bulbs in your lounge is as obscene as a Range Rover Sport in
Chelsea.

I have nearly that in my living room. The difference is that I don't
have them all on at the same time! Generally there's only a couple of
20W reading lamps and a couple of 40W uplighters.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Buzby wrote:

Having actually looked at the bulbs, as opposed to being told what they are
by SWMBO, they are in fact 25W.

Ok, so 175W won't overload your dimmer, but others have pointed out if
you run them dimmed, you'll likely still be paying more than for having
a single larger bulb at full brightness. That said, the only room of the
house where I don't have CFL lamps is the lounge where I have a
dimmer+filament, the only place I find I need it adjustable ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
I've just replaced a light fitting that now has seven 60w bulbs in
rather than the one 100w

Have you heard of global warming?

Hint: 420W of bulbs in your lounge is as obscene as a Range Rover Sport
in Chelsea.

1465 watts worth in mine. On eight circuits. But rarely all on together.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.