Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmer switch wattage

Andy Burns wrote:
Buzby wrote:

I've just replaced a light fitting that now has seven 60w bulbs in rather
than the one 100w - my dimmer switch is rated 250w

Err, 7 x 60w = 420w, so it *is* overloaded

it works fine making no noise to suggest it's overloaded.

wait for the noise of the fire service's sirens ...

420w, he must have a big house! Either that or its one of those strange
people that dim their 420w to give out the light of 100w instead of
replacing the 60s with 25s.

If you dim bulbs they still consume most of their power rating, so
using a dimmer with this will cost you silly money, plus heat your
house up all summer. As an example, a 500w bulb dimmed to the output of
a 40watter eats 300w.

If you had 100w there before, you're unlikely to need more than 250w.

NT