Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's wrong with white?

On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall color
white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or somesuch.
Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing purple wall with
green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most cases, the rooms seem dark
compare to white so you need to add more lighting. I like white as a blank
canvas as I (more like the wife) could add splashes of colors from my
furniture, paintings. door and wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold
colors seem like a sensory overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white
anymore?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote in message
On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall color
white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or somesuch.
Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing purple wall with
green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most cases, the rooms seem dark
compare to white so you need to add more lighting. I like white as a blank
canvas as I (more like the wife) could add splashes of colors from my
furniture, paintings. door and wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold
colors seem like a sensory overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white
anymore?

Real estate agents often recommend neutral white repainting before putting a
home on the market.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:41:33 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall color
white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or somesuch.
Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing purple wall with
green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most cases, the rooms seem dark
compare to white so you need to add more lighting. I like white as a blank
canvas as I (more like the wife) could add splashes of colors from my
furniture, paintings. door and wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold
colors seem like a sensory overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white
anymore?

White is fine, though it can be boring. The trend to more colors is
probably partially due to apartments tending to be all white. People
like me who lived in one white-walled apartment after another tend to
consider the ability to paint my wals other colors to be one of the
joys of home ownership.

To be honest, I'm still not that adventurous. I still stick to fairly
neutral colors and a couple of lighter colors.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Jack" wrote:
On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall color
white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or somesuch.
Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing purple wall with
green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most cases, the rooms seem dark
compare to white so you need to add more lighting. I like white as a blank
canvas as I (more like the wife) could add splashes of colors from my
furniture, paintings. door and wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold
colors seem like a sensory overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white
anymore?

An off-white/pale beige color offends the least number of
people and makes a room look bright and spacious without
the stark and clinical glare of pure white. That is why
new home builders rarely use anything else. They KNOW (do
not just think/guess) that's what sells houses.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:41:33 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall color
white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or somesuch.
Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing purple wall with
green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most cases, the rooms seem dark
compare to white so you need to add more lighting. I like white as a blank
canvas as I (more like the wife) could add splashes of colors from my
furniture, paintings. door and wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold
colors seem like a sensory overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white
anymore?

In my area the builders paint most all home white inside. It hides
imperfections well. These will show up; more pronounced, in darker
colors. The trend for Realtors in our area is to go with a neutral
earth tones... they seem to term it "beige-EE" (sp).

I lived with white walls in my last house for 10 years. After we
moved across town the wife went to other colors. Some light pastel
colors in two bedrooms and they look great. She faux painted the rest
of the house and since she did the work - I love it.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 5:59 pm, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article , "Jack" wrote:
[...]

When I was a kid, I did a little painting for a builder. He did not
like to put on 2 coats of paint - more likely with darker colors.

Also, stint as a realtor, we were told it is better to have white or
off white walls and ceilings and bring color into the room in form of
window treatments, furniture, etc.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Jack" wrote:
[...]

Frank- Hide quoted text -

The realtor stuff is a bunch of hooey. Sure, if your house is poorly
decorated then a lot of realtors will tell you just to paint it white
but if you have it tastefully done then it can be a positive as much
as a negative. A lot of people say that having all neutral colors lets
the prospective buyer imagine their own furnishings better, but most
buyers aren't that imaginative. If you look at the decorating catalogs
or magazines like Pottery Barn, Ethan Allan, House & Garden, you will
see color used tastefully.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall
color white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or
somesuch. Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing
purple wall with green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most
cases, the rooms seem dark compare to white so you need to add more
lighting. I like white as a blank canvas as I (more like the wife)
could add splashes of colors from my furniture, paintings. door and
wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold colors seem like a sensory
overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white anymore?

There is nothing wrong with white. That is the reason every developer
paints all the walls white and why realtors all tell you to paint everything
white if you are selling. People don't "hate" and it makes rooms look a
little larger. Strong colors tend to put off potential buyers, unless they
happen to like the color.

Now once people buy the house, they tend to put their own mark on the
home and that often means using color. So a home improvement show is not
likely to use white as a change because most people already know what white
looks like and consider it a little boring.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:41:33 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall color
white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or somesuch.
Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing purple wall with
green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most cases, the rooms seem dark
compare to white so you need to add more lighting. I like white as a blank
canvas as I (more like the wife) could add splashes of colors from my
furniture, paintings. door and wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold
colors seem like a sensory overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white
anymore?

I'd much rather have white than the dirty brownish yellow one room in
this house was painted.

I like the walls white or a light color (NOT light sh*t color) and
have smaller objects for color.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

I kind of like white for the outside of a house with a bolder color for the
trim. For the inside I kind of like pastel walls and perhaps a white
ceiling.

Also what looks pretty good is the faux painting.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Jack" wrote in message
On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall color
white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or somesuch.
Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing purple wall with
green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most cases, the rooms seem dark
compare to white so you need to add more lighting. I like white as a blank
canvas as I (more like the wife) could add splashes of colors from my
furniture, paintings. door and wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold
colors seem like a sensory overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white
anymore?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Jack" wrote:
[...]

Some years ago I walked DIRECTLY out of a house for sale.. Black and
red walls with purple carpet. I just could not get past that first
impression and over look it.

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote in message
On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall color
white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or somesuch.
Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing purple wall with
green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most cases, the rooms seem dark
compare to white so you need to add more lighting. I like white as a blank
canvas as I (more like the wife) could add splashes of colors from my
furniture, paintings. door and wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold
colors seem like a sensory overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white
anymore?

When we sold our previous house it was white inside.
But we got comments from prospective buyers that our blue carpet would not
go well with their existing living room furniture.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:41:33 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall color
white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or somesuch.
Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing purple wall with
green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most cases, the rooms seem dark
compare to white so you need to add more lighting. I like white as a blank
canvas as I (more like the wife) could add splashes of colors from my
furniture, paintings. door and wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold
colors seem like a sensory overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white
anymore?

I still have builder's white since 1992 in the hall, bedrooms, family
room, dining room, shop. Light yellow enamel in bathrooms and
kitchen. Dull dark green in the theater. My favorite color is red.
White in the bedroom is not too good but I can live with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Hep Hep is offline

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:21:05 -0800, Oren wrote:

Some years ago I walked DIRECTLY out of a house for sale.. Black and
red walls with purple carpet. I just could not get past that first
impression and over look it.

A very odd woman leased an office down the hall from mine, in a
downtown office building and immediately painted the walls a very dark
shade of blue. Well, she tried to paint the walls. She actually
painted the walls and the carpet.

If she was happy with her decision, then she was the only one. The
landlord was beside himself.

In that situation, even boring white would have been better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My wife doesnt like white

Frankly its wonderful, brite, makes rooms look larger. Off whites
always look dirty to me

Our entire home is currently white but its been 10 years its time for
repaint, my wife says the female does ALL the decorating, the husband
just does the work and pays for everything.

there will be a fight I suggested white living room, she can select
other colors for rooms I spend little time in........

she hated that compromise, awaiting bucks for remodeling

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote in message
I like white as a blank canvas as I (more like the wife) could add
splashes of colors from my furniture, paintings. door and wall trims.
Painting walls in bright bold colors seem like a sensory overload to me.
Doesn't anyone like white anymore?

My shop has white walls. Nice and bright. In a house, they remind me of
the cheap rental units that get painted every time the last tenant skips
town.

Never had white walls in the house, never will. We tend towards pastels
rather than dark, rich colors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:36:23 -0500, Hep wrote:

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:21:05 -0800, Oren wrote:

Some years ago I walked DIRECTLY out of a house for sale.. Black and
red walls with purple carpet. I just could not get past that first
impression and over look it.

A very odd woman leased an office down the hall from mine, in a
downtown office building and immediately painted the walls a very dark
shade of blue. Well, she tried to paint the walls. She actually
painted the walls and the carpet.

If she was happy with her decision, then she was the only one. The
landlord was beside himself.

In that situation, even boring white would have been better.

White paint can be very attractive and easy on the eye. I'm thinking
multi-tones of white. Ceiling, crown, chair rail, base molding, doors
and casing.

Tri-color white/tone will not be boring. It's a good way to use white
paint.

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:41:33 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall color
white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or somesuch.
Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing purple wall with
green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most cases, the rooms seem dark
compare to white so you need to add more lighting. I like white as a blank
canvas as I (more like the wife) could add splashes of colors from my
furniture, paintings. door and wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold
colors seem like a sensory overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white
anymore?

I love the single orange wall (not the whole room) and perhaps a
fabric on an opposing wall.

But for selling, it need to be furnished with matching decor. If
the house is empty, then paint it white.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
[...]

Chuckle. One of the reasons I got this place cheap was the unfortunate
decorating experiments of the previous owners. LR is basic white and looks
okay, rest of house looks like somebody watched too many DIY shows. I sorta
regret not biting the bullet and getting a painting crew in here while place
was empty, but I was feeling poor at the time, having just written several
astoundingly large checks for the closing and startup expenses. It ain't
pretty, but being a single guy, I have mostly learned to ignore it, and will
likely leave it until sale time at this point.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 03:43:14 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

Chuckle. One of the reasons I got this place cheap was the unfortunate
decorating experiments of the previous owners. LR is basic white and looks
okay, rest of house looks like somebody watched too many DIY shows. I sorta
regret not biting the bullet and getting a painting crew in here while place
was empty, but I was feeling poor at the time, having just written several
astoundingly large checks for the closing and startup expenses. It ain't
pretty, but being a single guy, I have mostly learned to ignore it, and will
likely leave it until sale time at this point.

That was my plan. except to paint in a few years. Now the house is
so full, it's hard to move everythign, and I certainly can't hire
someone, because if he moves things it will be worse.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

My shop has white walls. Nice and bright. In a house, they remind me of
the cheap rental units that get painted every time the last tenant skips
town.

Never had white walls in the house, never will. We tend towards pastels
rather than dark, rich colors.

This really isn't complicated. When you live in a place,
paint it whatever color *you* like.

When you come to sell, repaint it off-white (pale beige).
The place will sell faster and you'll get a better price.
Beige is "warmer" than pure white, which looks "cold".
People want to feel warm and cozy in their homes. This
is all well understood by good builders and realtors. They
have turned into science -- no guesswork required.

Aside from the color itself, a *fresh* coat of paint will
always help sell a home. Maybe buyers shouldn't be so
superficial but the fact is... they are.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deke" wrote

But for selling, it need to be furnished with matching decor. If
the house is empty, then paint it white.

Guessing what color the buyer will like is like trying to hit the lottery.
You can do it, but the odds are against you. Just get the place CLEAN, and
if that includes painting a light color to cover dirt, wear, and grime, so
be it.

One of the major things in buying/selling is first impressions. A place
that looks clean will suggest that it has been taken care of. A place that
needs painting right away suggests that there will be other repairs, too.

Five to ten gallons of paint is not a big investment in trying to sell a
house, and will give the most bang for the bucks. After that, if some
weirdo Goth bitch who loves Halloween colors buys it and wants to
redecorate, whatever. But to color it that way in anticipation of the one
Goth Halloween obsessed bitch buyer in the world is a lottery decision.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:41:33 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

white

I like to have a white wall to show slides on. Easier than setting up
a screen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:41:33 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

white

I like to have a white wall to show slides on. Easier than setting up
a screen.

Sort of true, but the pictures look dull compared to a screen

Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

You know I've always heard that too. I sold my house this past
December, nothing fancy just a little 1K ft2 ranch. When I moved in
the walls were all white...and it looked and felt cold an lifeless.
When I left the house had 5 different colors on the main floor, and
everyone that looked at the house raved about the colors. I'm
convinced the colors sold the house.

Bottom line, you have do what's tactful...just because it's got color
doesn't make it right!

Oh yea...the house sold for more than asking in 4 days. 2 qualified
first time buyers.

On Feb 28, 4:44 pm, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:
Real estate agents often recommend neutral white repainting before putting a
home on the market.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:36:23 -0500, Hep wrote:

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:21:05 -0800, Oren wrote:

Some years ago I walked DIRECTLY out of a house for sale.. Black and
red walls with purple carpet. I just could not get past that first
impression and over look it.

A very odd woman leased an office down the hall from mine, in a
downtown office building and immediately painted the walls a very dark
shade of blue. Well, she tried to paint the walls. She actually
painted the walls and the carpet.

If she was happy with her decision, then she was the only one. The
landlord was beside himself.

In that situation, even boring white would have been better.

For whom? When I work on my house, I do what pleases ME,
not what I think will please the next guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:28:16 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:41:33 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

white

I like to have a white wall to show slides on. Easier than setting up
a screen.

Sort of true, but the pictures look dull compared to a screen

I know they say that and I believe even I would almost certainly think
so if they were side by side, but my love for convenience outweighs my
desire for quality. I was going to paint one wall glossy white for
this purpose, but I don't show slides that often anyhow anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Feb 2007 18:53:17 -0800, "
wrote:

My wife doesnt like white

Frankly its wonderful, brite, makes rooms look larger. Off whites
always look dirty to me

White only looks clean when it IS clean, and a pure white is
harder to keep clean than an off-white. Who has to do the cleaning?

How about Blue, with white trim? That makes a good livingroom.
But not that pansy-ass sky blue or slate. Primal blue.
The kind of blue that feels like a physical assault until you
get the trim painted and the curtains hung. If you put
vibrant enough color on the walls (something that says OSHA
approved) then you can paint the ceiling with Ames reflective
safety white.

Our entire home is currently white but its been 10 years its time for
repaint, my wife says the female does ALL the decorating, the husband
just does the work and pays for everything.

there will be a fight I suggested white living room, she can select
other colors for rooms I spend little time in........

she hated that compromise, awaiting bucks for remodeling

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:39:00 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

On 28 Feb 2007 18:53:17 -0800, "
wrote:

My wife doesnt like white

Frankly its wonderful, brite, makes rooms look larger. Off whites
always look dirty to me

White only looks clean when it IS clean, and a pure white is
harder to keep clean than an off-white. Who has to do the cleaning?

Off-white doesn't show dirt as well, probably because it's the color
of light dirt. It never really looks clean.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 5:41 pm, "Jack" wrote:
On the TV home improvement shows, seems like everyone hates the wall color
white and replace it with funky colors like purple, orange or somesuch.
Funny when a new owner comes in and repaint the existing purple wall with
green, brown or other bodacious colors. In most cases, the rooms seem dark
compare to white so you need to add more lighting. I like white as a blank
canvas as I (more like the wife) could add splashes of colors from my
furniture, paintings. door and wall trims. Painting walls in bright bold
colors seem like a sensory overload to me. Doesn't anyone like white
anymore?

Me and the Mrs. are getting ready to do some painting and I'll be
heading off to the local Sears to request several gallons of good ol
BO34 (Winter White). Nothin at all wrong with white as far as we're
concerned. The Sears paint is just our preference.

We have branched out a little bit and done some other colors in our
new home, but the last house was all done in white.

It all comes down to... what do you want in your house. Which
translates (mostly) to if it makes the Mrs. happy life is happy... ;-)

Most of the TV shows go overboard with their style and color mixes to
keep it interesting. Not that many folks would watch every week if
the designer walked into the house and said "I SEE ---- WHITE".. :-)

Just my two little pennies worth... Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:28:16 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:41:33 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

white

I like to have a white wall to show slides on. Easier than setting up
a screen.

Sort of true, but the pictures look dull compared to a screen

I know they say that and I believe even I would almost certainly think
so if they were side by side, but my love for convenience outweighs my
desire for quality. I was going to paint one wall glossy white for
this purpose, but I don't show slides that often anyhow anymore.

You could buy special paint for movies and slides. The paint is pricey but
not as pricey as a good screen.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 13:05:10 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

I was going to paint one wall glossy white for
this purpose, but I don't show slides that often anyhow anymore.

You could buy special paint for movies and slides. The paint is pricey but
not as pricey as a good screen.

Thanks. I didn't know that. Looks like I'm not the only "lazy" one.
Plus with a screen you have to fold it up, have a place to store it,
and take it out again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Our house is a bit over a hundred years old. Before we did any work on
it, we carefully peeled back the layers of time on the walls.

Only one room has ever had white walls -- the living room was painted
white when we bought the place, appears to have been done in the 1970s.
Before that, it had a variety of pastels in different rooms.

Before that, wall papers ranging from pastels to very deep prints
downstairs, while the bedrooms had paper with scenic prints -- floral in
one, cowboys and indians in another, tropical scenes in a third, etc.

The original interior was deep green, painted cloth instead of paper,
except the dining room which was green below with a band of sky blue on
top, with a gold stripe between them.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/