Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burning smell in my home - HELP

I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo. An electrician was out yesterday and checked
with no luck finding any electrical issues in my condo and in the
landing light outside my condo.

The smell is not in the next door condo - there are only two per
floor- and no smell reported in the condo immediately below mine.

The condo's utilize radiator heat on the opposite walls then the
smell. Also, the smell is worse at night.

In need of other suggestions or HELP!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Louise65" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo. An electrician was out yesterday and checked
with no luck finding any electrical issues in my condo and in the
landing light outside my condo.

The smell is not in the next door condo - there are only two per
floor- and no smell reported in the condo immediately below mine.

The condo's utilize radiator heat on the opposite walls then the
smell. Also, the smell is worse at night.

A valid concern, but I have to ask if you are a gal. Gals have acute smell,
compared to those beasts from Mars.

Seriously, if you have acute smell it might be some benign artifact that is
transient. Keep your nose on it. If it gets worse, get serious about
investigating it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Louise65" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo. An electrician was out yesterday and checked
with no luck finding any electrical issues in my condo and in the
landing light outside my condo.

The smell is not in the next door condo - there are only two per
floor- and no smell reported in the condo immediately below mine.

The condo's utilize radiator heat on the opposite walls then the
smell. Also, the smell is worse at night.

In need of other suggestions or HELP!!

Call the fire department and ask them for suggestions?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 27 Feb 2007 13:30:17 -0800, "Louise65" wrote:

I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo. An electrician was out yesterday and checked
with no luck finding any electrical issues in my condo and in the
landing light outside my condo.

The smell is not in the next door condo - there are only two per
floor- and no smell reported in the condo immediately below mine.

The condo's utilize radiator heat on the opposite walls then the
smell. Also, the smell is worse at night.

In need of other suggestions or HELP!!

Bob is right.

Also, make sure your smoke detector is working, and maybe move it
nearer to the smell. There are two designs and it's good to have one
of each. One is photo and the other is ionization and says it has a
small amount of radioactive something or other in it.

One is better for hot flames and the other is better for smouldering
stuff. I don't remember which is which.

I had a neighbor who had a fire in his kitchen stove clock, a real
clock with hands that rotate. He said that the smoke detector kept
going off so he took it in to be repaired. I don't know where they
repair smoke detectors, but regardless, he should have gotten another
one before he removed the first. Anyhow, there was a fire, but it
took days or weeks before it set fire to the kitchen. (It burned out
the whole kitchen and did smoke damage elsewhere.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Louise65 wrote:
I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo. An electrician was out yesterday and checked
with no luck finding any electrical issues in my condo and in the
landing light outside my condo.

The smell is not in the next door condo - there are only two per
floor- and no smell reported in the condo immediately below mine.

The condo's utilize radiator heat on the opposite walls then the
smell. Also, the smell is worse at night.

In need of other suggestions or HELP!!

Call the local fire department and ask them what you might look for
yourself. Do you operate any heaters or fans at night? In what room(s)
do you detect the odor? Near water heater or vent? Got anything stored
next to water heater? Have a smoke detector? Any factories or
incinerators in the area that might operate at night?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

Louise65 wrote:

I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo. An electrician was out yesterday and checked
with no luck finding any electrical issues in my condo and in the
landing light outside my condo.

The smell is not in the next door condo - there are only two per
floor- and no smell reported in the condo immediately below mine.

The condo's utilize radiator heat on the opposite walls then the
smell. Also, the smell is worse at night.

In need of other suggestions or HELP!!

Call the local fire department and ask them what you might look for
yourself. Do you operate any heaters or fans at night? In what room(s)
do you detect the odor? Near water heater or vent? Got anything stored
next to water heater? Have a smoke detector? Any factories or
incinerators in the area that might operate at night?

PS: The fire department would much rather hear from you before, rather
than after. Be sure .. a burning smell should not be ignored.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 4:30 pm, "Louise65" wrote:
I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo.

FWIW ,,, I'd smell a burning more like electrical smell now and then
in the house. Scary ... turned out to be what I'll call carbon
tracking in the microwave. I don't use the microwave much myself, so
I'd get there long after someone else had used it. But by luck,
happened to me one day.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 27 Feb 2007 13:30:17 -0800, "Louise65" wrote:

I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo. An electrician was out yesterday and checked
with no luck finding any electrical issues in my condo and in the
landing light outside my condo.

The smell is not in the next door condo - there are only two per
floor- and no smell reported in the condo immediately below mine.

The condo's utilize radiator heat on the opposite walls then the
smell. Also, the smell is worse at night.

In need of other suggestions or HELP!!

BTW there was a little study on tv 2 or 3 months ago that showed human
noses are better than many think. They pulled something with chocolate
in it along the grass and had people try to follow the path. They had
to get down on the ground and get their noses within an inch or less
of the ground, but that helped a lot. They also got much better with
a little practice. So I would say, Go look for the origin of the
smell. It's not the air itself.

Smells are strange. The one time I had a smelly basement, not burning
rubber but moisture related, I bought a 50-pound bad of that stuff
that dries things, and put it in a bucket (with a perforated divider
in the middle between the empty half and the other half.) After I
dried the floor area, I foudn the steps still smelled, even with my
nose 5 feet up. I put it on the second step, and after a day or two,
it didn't smell there, even though my nose was five feet up. I put it
on the 4th step, and that space smelled right after a couple days.
But the 3rd step didn't. I still this can't have been accurate, but
over time I put it on all the steps and the smell was gone. I would
think any smell might have been made weaker, but it would disperse and
be the same strength almost everywhere.

Oh, wrong story. Last month I plugged in an old phone machine that
hadn't been used for years. Almost immediately I smelled something
burning, although not rubber. I turned it off quickly and took it
apart, and turned it on and saw wisps of smoke. I couldn't see where
the smell was coming from, so before it stopped, I touched all the
parts. One was burning hot, although after a half hour the pain wa
gone and I didn't need any first aid. So now I know the what is
burning, but without a schematic, I can't even guess at what the bad
part is. It's probably not the part that is hot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Louise65" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo. An electrician was out yesterday and checked
with no luck finding any electrical issues in my condo and in the
landing light outside my condo.

The smell is not in the next door condo - there are only two per
floor- and no smell reported in the condo immediately below mine.

The condo's utilize radiator heat on the opposite walls then the
smell. Also, the smell is worse at night.

In need of other suggestions or HELP!!

Call the fire department and ask them for suggestions?

Bob

Call the fire department and ask them if they can check around with their
fancy infared heat finder...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jackson wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Louise65" wrote in message
roups.com...

I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo. An electrician was out yesterday and checked
with no luck finding any electrical issues in my condo and in the
landing light outside my condo.

The smell is not in the next door condo - there are only two per
floor- and no smell reported in the condo immediately below mine.

The condo's utilize radiator heat on the opposite walls then the
smell. Also, the smell is worse at night.

In need of other suggestions or HELP!!

Call the fire department and ask them for suggestions?

Bob

Call the fire department and ask them if they can check around with their
fancy infared heat finder...

Actually I bought one with a little built in aiming laser for about $30
a couple years ago... useful for checking automotive cooling systems
(and calibrating uncalibrated dash gauges etc.) that might be a useful
thing to wave around if nothing else for peace of mind.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 4:30 pm, "Louise65" wrote:
I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo. An electrician was out yesterday and checked
with no luck finding any electrical issues in my condo and in the
landing light outside my condo.

The smell is not in the next door condo - there are only two per
floor- and no smell reported in the condo immediately below mine.

The condo's utilize radiator heat on the opposite walls then the
smell. Also, the smell is worse at night.

In need of other suggestions or HELP!!

If worst at night than during the day..........think to
yourself...whats different from night and day. Most likely you run the
heat more than during the day...........if so.....you will want to
check the baseboard heating. If baseboard heating......most front
covers lift up and off. You probably have something, most likely
plastic, that is in between the heating coils and melting as you run
the heat. If you dont know how to do this..........get someone in to
do this asap. If you are going to do this.......first, turn the heat
off......turn thermostat all the way down.

But notifying and asking your local fire dept is a very good
suggestion. Better to be safe than sorry.

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AlarmCoJoe" wrote in news:GCVFh.522$sC.223
@bignews2.bellsouth.net:

In need of other suggestions or HELP!!

poltergeist?

You're all wrong!!! Superman is secretly screwing his wife and what he
smells is the resulting burning condom. You guys are so dense!!!
:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Jackson wrote:
Call the fire department and ask them if they can check around with their
fancy infared heat finder...

Actually I bought one with a little built in aiming laser for about $30
a couple years ago... useful for checking automotive cooling systems
(and calibrating uncalibrated dash gauges etc.) that might be a useful
thing to wave around if nothing else for peace of mind.

Where'd you get it?

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bob F, Dave Why wrote:
bobnospam wrote:

"Louise65" wrote in message
ups.com...
Call the fire department and ask them for suggestions?
Bob

I was sat in my basement the other night and there was an electrical
burning smell. One of those swirly fluorescent light bulbs started to
flicker.
Over a 10 minute period the flickering got worse until the thing died. The
screw in part (not the glass) was very hot and I could not touch it. I
thought they were supposed to last 15 years !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

well turn the main breaker off to see if the smell disappears. when i was perhaps 12 years old we had a odd burning smell....... traced to a overheating door bell transformer. which i replaced.

about that time the door bell started ringing at all sorts of wierd times.

i happened to be in the basement. when our new hot water tank turned on the door bell rang.

now i am 58, in january 59.

perhaps these two events were related but after all these years i really dont know. we moved shortly after these problems occured.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bobnospam wrote:

"Louise65" wrote in message
ups.com...
Call the fire department and ask them for suggestions?
Bob

I was sat in my basement the other night and there was an electrical
burning smell. One of those swirly fluorescent light bulbs started to
flicker.
Over a 10 minute period the flickering got worse until the thing died. The
screw in part (not the glass) was very hot and I could not touch it. I
thought they were supposed to last 15 years !!!

I'm sure it will last 15 years. Maybe longer.

However, don't expect it to give light for the entire time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was sat in my basement the other night and there was an electrical
burning smell. One of those swirly fluorescent light bulbs started to
flicker.
Over a 10 minute period the flickering got worse until the thing died. The
screw in part (not the glass) was very hot and I could not touch it. I
thought they were supposed to last 15 years !!!

Some years ago, I was in the bathroom sitting on the toilet when one of
those CFL bulbs began emitting sparks inside the glass fixture. It died
leaving a thick cloud of smelly smoke. About that same moment I shut off
the switch. I replaced it with an incandescent bulb.

If it had not been inside a glass fixture dome, and had I not been
there, it could have started a fire.

I never liked those CFL bulbs, and none of them last anywhere near the
amount of time they say on the package. That's just advertising lies.

I did have one of the original ones, which were a simple arch that stuck
out about 5 inches. That one lasted 8 or 9 years, and was on almost all
the time. It did not burn out. I was broken when a furnace guy came to
fix our furnace and was carrying a long duct pipe, and hit the bulb
because it stuck out of the fixture so far.

I'm grateful the LED bulbs are now available and getting affordable. I
dont like paying for electric to power incandescents, but I always hated
those CFL bulbs for many reasons, including they are dangerous, they
dont work in cold weather, if they break, you got mercury contamination,
and so many more reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2015 11:44 PM, Dave Why wrote:
I was sat in my basement the other night and there was an electrical
burning smell. One of those swirly fluorescent light bulbs started to
flicker.
Over a 10 minute period the flickering got worse until the thing died. The
screw in part (not the glass) was very hot and I could not touch it. I
thought they were supposed to last 15 years !!!

IIRC, Consumer Reports did life testing on CFLs a few years ago.
Some brands failed quickly and some lasted a long time.

I've been a CR subscriber for over 30 years. They have saved me a lot of grief.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bobnospam wrote:

"Louise65" wrote in message
ups.com...
Call the fire department and ask them for suggestions?
Bob

I was sat in my basement the other night and there was an electrical
burning smell. One of those swirly fluorescent light bulbs started to
flicker.
Over a 10 minute period the flickering got worse until the thing died. The
screw in part (not the glass) was very hot and I could not touch it. I
thought they were supposed to last 15 years !!!

Nutin' lasts fer even, sonny. One day even the stars will fall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bobnospam wrote:

"Louise65" wrote in message
ups.com...
Call the fire department and ask them for suggestions?
Bob

I was sat in my basement the other night and there was an electrical
burning smell. One of those swirly fluorescent light bulbs started to
flicker.
Over a 10 minute period the flickering got worse until the thing died. The
screw in part (not the glass) was very hot and I could not touch it. I
thought they were supposed to last 15 years !!!
--

It doesn't matter anymore. The condos burned down in 2009. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Condo Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Charles Schuler, Same situation wrote:
If you have baseboard heating it could be dust or something fell in the
baseboard and is heating to much, keep all toys and plastic items away from
the baseboard heating.......

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...lp-198892-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Same situation posted for all of us...

replying to Charles Schuler, Same situation wrote:
If you have baseboard heating it could be dust or something fell in the
baseboard and is heating to much, keep all toys and plastic items away from
the baseboard heating.......

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...lp-198892-.htm

Dwelling burnt down years ago leaving untold gerbils to fend for themselves.

--
Tekkie