Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Burning smell in my home - HELP

On 27 Feb 2007 13:30:17 -0800, "Louise65" wrote:

I have been having a burning rubber smell coming in the entrance way
to my 3rd floor condo. An electrician was out yesterday and checked
with no luck finding any electrical issues in my condo and in the
landing light outside my condo.

The smell is not in the next door condo - there are only two per
floor- and no smell reported in the condo immediately below mine.

The condo's utilize radiator heat on the opposite walls then the
smell. Also, the smell is worse at night.

In need of other suggestions or HELP!!

Bob is right.

Also, make sure your smoke detector is working, and maybe move it
nearer to the smell. There are two designs and it's good to have one
of each. One is photo and the other is ionization and says it has a
small amount of radioactive something or other in it.

One is better for hot flames and the other is better for smouldering
stuff. I don't remember which is which.

I had a neighbor who had a fire in his kitchen stove clock, a real
clock with hands that rotate. He said that the smoke detector kept
going off so he took it in to be repaired. I don't know where they
repair smoke detectors, but regardless, he should have gotten another
one before he removed the first. Anyhow, there was a fire, but it
took days or weeks before it set fire to the kitchen. (It burned out
the whole kitchen and did smoke damage elsewhere.)