Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refinishing a Cheap Ikea Bed Frame

Hello,
I have a cheap but reliable simple Ikea box bed frame. It originally
came with that fancy wood grained style contact paper glue to the
particle board type wood to give the "rich and famous look" without
spending much money. After multiple moves, the contact paper is
tearing off and I was hoping the group might have some suggestions for
how to cover up the tattered mess. I have considered contact paper
again or possibly buying some thin wood and gluing/nailing it around
the outside. The parts that need to be covered are the outside facing
wood (largest surface area) and the 1" width of the same piece of wood
that faces up.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I have a cheap but reliable simple Ikea box bed frame. It originally
came with that fancy wood grained style contact paper glue to the
particle board type wood to give the "rich and famous look" without
spending much money. After multiple moves, the contact paper is
tearing off and I was hoping the group might have some suggestions for
how to cover up the tattered mess. I have considered contact paper
again or possibly buying some thin wood and gluing/nailing it around
the outside. The parts that need to be covered are the outside facing
wood (largest surface area) and the 1" width of the same piece of wood
that faces up.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

What does the wood look like? Particle board, or solid wood?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What does the wood look like? Particle board, or solid wood?

The "real" wood underneath the contact paper looks like thick particle
board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 9:47 am, wrote:
Hello,
I have a cheap but reliable simple Ikea box bed frame. It originally
came with that fancy wood grained style contact paper glue to the
particle board type wood to give the "rich and famous look" without
spending much money. After multiple moves, the contact paper is
tearing off and I was hoping the group might have some suggestions for
how to cover up the tattered mess. I have considered contact paper
again or possibly buying some thin wood and gluing/nailing it around
the outside. The parts that need to be covered are the outside facing
wood (largest surface area) and the 1" width of the same piece of wood
that faces up.

Don't waste your time or money. Ikea is good for what they do,
however, their furniture is not worth the effort to refinish.
Standard advice: toss it and buy another. Refinishing is for real
wood not particle board.

If you are absolutely in love with this priceless heirloom then by all
means do whatever you wish with it. It's your bed, your time and
money. The ideas you have are fine otherwise you can just paint the
darn thing and call it done. Whatever you do, you cannot screw up a
cheap piece like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

What does the wood look like? Particle board, or solid wood?

The "real" wood underneath the contact paper looks like thick particle
board.

If you can remove the vinyl fake wood stuff completely, and sand the wood
enough to produce a surface with no remaining adhesive, you might be able to
apply a nice wood veneer. If I were you, I'd post this same question in
another newsgroup, rec.woodworking. You'll probably be buried in response by
tonight.

Something to consider: The cost of the tools needed to do the job may be
higher than buying a better wooden bed frame, or a nice solid metal one.

Another option would be a dust ruffle to hide the ugly frame. I hate dust
ruffles, but some people think they're great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 9:47 am, wrote:
Hello,
I have a cheap but reliable simple Ikea box bed frame. It originally
came with that fancy wood grained style contact paper glue to the
particle board type wood to give the "rich and famous look" without
spending much money. After multiple moves, the contact paper is
tearing off and I was hoping the group might have some suggestions for
how to cover up the tattered mess. I have considered contact paper
again or possibly buying some thin wood and gluing/nailing it around
the outside. The parts that need to be covered are the outside facing
wood (largest surface area) and the 1" width of the same piece of wood
that faces up.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

I would go with contact paper. Its the easiest to do although may not
be the cheapest.

Next choice would be to clean it up and paint it.

Another option Might be to get a sheet of the wall panelling and cut a
piece of that to cover the side. You might need some trim to hide the
edges.

Whatever you try is coing to be cheaper than a new one. Unless you
need a lot of tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 8:08 am, "Lawrence" wrote:
On Feb 27, 9:47 am, wrote: Hello,
[...]

Lawrence's advice is right on target......

IMO your time would be better spent on something else, the frame
probably isn't worth the time or material to fix it up.

Refinishing this bed frame would be like "putting a $50 saddle on a $5
horse"

Check out craigslist.org in your area for a really cheap replacement
or even a beat up real wood frame that WOULD be worth refinishing.
If you want to do the refinishing thing, start with something worth
refinishing.

I restore old stuff all the time but sometimes the original item was
made of such cheap material it just ain't worth the effort.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 27 Feb 2007 08:46:18 -0800, "BobK207" wrote:

Refinishing this bed frame would be like "putting a $50 saddle on a $5
horse"

About 30 years ago, I bought a 50 dollar lock for 10 dollar bicycle.
I still have the lock, still have the bike, and it was worth it for
me. **The bike was built from parts from 6 other bikes found in the
trash. I spent 10 dollars for a luggage rack, that usually doesn't
come with new bikes anyhow.

Check out craigslist.org in your area for a really cheap replacement
or even a beat up real wood frame that WOULD be worth refinishing.
If you want to do the refinishing thing, start with something worth
refinishing.

OTOH, this is not bad advice either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 9:32 am, mm wrote:
On 27 Feb 2007 08:46:18 -0800, "BobK207" wrote:

Refinishing this bed frame would be like "putting a $50 saddle on a $5
horse"

About 30 years ago, I bought a 50 dollar lock for 10 dollar bicycle.
I still have the lock, still have the bike, and it was worth it for
me. **The bike was built from parts from 6 other bikes found in the
trash. I spent 10 dollars for a luggage rack, that usually doesn't
come with new bikes anyhow.

Check out craigslist.org in your area for a really cheap replacement
or even a beat up real wood frame that WOULD be worth refinishing.
If you want to do the refinishing thing, start with something worth
refinishing.

OTOH, this is not bad advice either.

Actually your bike is / was not a " 5$ horse" just because it was
put together from salvaged parts & you got it for $10 doens't mean its
junk (like a lot of IKEA stuff) plus it has that luggage rack; a
useful feature that most bikes don't have.

You just got a very deal & very good value out of your salvaged bike.

The analogy to your bike would be if the OP found a beat up solid wood
bed frame & restored it....he would have created vaule

but that same time & effort put into a particle board IKEA bed frame?

A '65 Mustang or an early Porche is worth the effort......how about
restoring a Yugo? when you're done, its still a Yugo

btw if you're interested there are a couple of Yugos on eBay motors
for less than $1000

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 27 Feb 2007 11:08:12 -0800, "BobK207" wrote:

A '65 Mustang or an early Porche is worth the effort......how about
restoring a Yugo? when you're done, its still a Yugo

btw if you're interested there are a couple of Yugos on eBay motors
for less than $1000

But can you still get Yugoslavian gasoline?

cheers
Bob

INSPIRATION - Bed Frame J T Woodworking 0 November 17th 06 04:52 AM
iron bed frame to platform frame? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 29th 06 05:23 PM
bed frame iron Grant Erwin Metalworking 9 January 25th 05 03:57 AM
build this bed frame? axis Home Repair 5 January 3rd 05 04:07 AM
build this bed frame? axis Home Repair 0 January 2nd 05 06:38 PM