Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Refinishing a Cheap Ikea Bed Frame

On Feb 27, 9:32 am, mm wrote:
On 27 Feb 2007 08:46:18 -0800, "BobK207" wrote:

Refinishing this bed frame would be like "putting a $50 saddle on a $5
horse"

About 30 years ago, I bought a 50 dollar lock for 10 dollar bicycle.
I still have the lock, still have the bike, and it was worth it for
me. **The bike was built from parts from 6 other bikes found in the
trash. I spent 10 dollars for a luggage rack, that usually doesn't
come with new bikes anyhow.

Check out craigslist.org in your area for a really cheap replacement
or even a beat up real wood frame that WOULD be worth refinishing.
If you want to do the refinishing thing, start with something worth
refinishing.

OTOH, this is not bad advice either.

Actually your bike is / was not a " 5$ horse" just because it was
put together from salvaged parts & you got it for $10 doens't mean its
junk (like a lot of IKEA stuff) plus it has that luggage rack; a
useful feature that most bikes don't have.

You just got a very deal & very good value out of your salvaged bike.

The analogy to your bike would be if the OP found a beat up solid wood
bed frame & restored it....he would have created vaule

but that same time & effort put into a particle board IKEA bed frame?

A '65 Mustang or an early Porche is worth the effort......how about
restoring a Yugo? when you're done, its still a Yugo

btw if you're interested there are a couple of Yugos on eBay motors
for less than $1000

cheers
Bob