Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tiling over a slightly uneven concrete slab

Im in the process of gutting a tiny half bath and Im about to tile the
floor. After pulling up the original flooring and cleaning it, I did a
quick dry layout of some of the tiles and noticed that a few spots in
the floor were not 100% level. At this point I put down 1/4 inch
backerboard to try an dlevel the floor. Unfortunately the problem is
still there. Can I get away with going a little heavy with the thinset
in the uneven areas? I know there are self leveling compounds, but I'd
like to avoid that if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Im in the process of gutting a tiny half bath and Im about to tile the
floor. After pulling up the original flooring and cleaning it, I did a
quick dry layout of some of the tiles and noticed that a few spots in
the floor were not 100% level. At this point I put down 1/4 inch
backerboard to try an dlevel the floor. Unfortunately the problem is
still there. Can I get away with going a little heavy with the thinset
in the uneven areas? I know there are self leveling compounds, but I'd
like to avoid that if possible.

Most of my ideas are either way too involved, or dead wrong. But, what if
you installed a temporary wooden frame around the edges, there the molding
would normally be, and pour in a thin layer of concrete, enough to level the
entire floor? Remove the frame, replace with molding.....

I dunno.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 10:37 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Im in the process of gutting a tiny half bath and Im about to tile the
floor. After pulling up the original flooring and cleaning it, I did a
quick dry layout of some of the tiles and noticed that a few spots in
the floor were not 100% level. At this point I put down 1/4 inch
backerboard to try an dlevel the floor. Unfortunately the problem is
still there. Can I get away with going a little heavy with the thinset
in the uneven areas? I know there are self leveling compounds, but I'd
like to avoid that if possible.

Most of my ideas are either way too involved, or dead wrong. But, what if
you installed a temporary wooden frame around the edges, there the molding
would normally be, and pour in a thin layer of concrete, enough to level the
entire floor? Remove the frame, replace with molding.....

I dunno.....

Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping to avoid raising the floor
any higher. I already put in the cement board which added another 1/4
inch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

The cement board should be set in Thinset, adjusting the thickness of the
Thinset mix to level the board. 1/4" board is a little thin if the floor is
not perfectly flat with enough firmness.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Im in the process of gutting a tiny half bath and Im about to tile the
floor. After pulling up the original flooring and cleaning it, I did a
quick dry layout of some of the tiles and noticed that a few spots in
the floor were not 100% level. At this point I put down 1/4 inch
backerboard to try an dlevel the floor. Unfortunately the problem is
still there. Can I get away with going a little heavy with the thinset
in the uneven areas? I know there are self leveling compounds, but I'd
like to avoid that if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
The cement board should be set in Thinset, adjusting the thickness of the
Thinset mix to level the board. 1/4" board is a little thin if the floor
is not perfectly flat with enough firmness.

Is that stuff easy to push around, like wet cement, so you can take a few
minutes to level it, or is it a gooey pain in the ass to work with?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
says...

On Feb 12, 10:37 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Sounds like an application for vinyl flooring. Works for uneven floors and
thinner, too, since you have a floor height concern. You can get some really
great remnants for your small space, some of the currently available flooring is
quite nice looking. I do love tile and have it everywhere reasonable for a NE
U.S. home (upstairs entryway, kitchen floor and backplash, bathroom floor and
walls). But downstairs where I have an uneven slab, I have tile-look vinyl in
two entryway areas. There are other looks if you don't like tile-look that
isn't actually tile.

Don't push tile too hard - it will crack if the floor isn't flat and stable
enough. At least in the grout lines.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why hasn't anyone asked the following question: How unlevel are you in the
concerned spots? I'm sure that you can get a deeper trowel if it's 1/8" or
a 1/4" out.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Im in the process of gutting a tiny half bath and Im about to tile the
floor. After pulling up the original flooring and cleaning it, I did a
quick dry layout of some of the tiles and noticed that a few spots in
the floor were not 100% level. At this point I put down 1/4 inch
backerboard to try an dlevel the floor. Unfortunately the problem is
still there. Can I get away with going a little heavy with the thinset
in the uneven areas? I know there are self leveling compounds, but I'd
like to avoid that if possible.

Tiling onto uneven floorboards Miguel UK diy 3 July 9th 06 04:21 PM
Uneven and cracked slab fix? ~Roy Home Repair 4 May 5th 06 08:50 AM
uneven slightly damp sandstone slab floor - levelling compound/tiles/carpet? tez UK diy 12 November 3rd 04 10:57 AM
Tiling an uneven floor Richard UK diy 3 September 10th 04 08:04 PM
wood floor on uneven slab Robert Sefton Home Repair 1 July 20th 03 03:45 PM