Richard

Default Tiling an uneven floor

Hi

I had a very uneven hallway after I removed our cupboard from
underneath the stairs. The hallway has old victorian style tiles on
the floor, quite small probably 4"x4" and in the cupbard were chunky
what I think are quarry tiles

I managed to remove some of the chunky quarry tiles which were
throwing the level right off and the remaining tiles (chunky and
small)are pretty much level now. However I have an area where the old
chunky tiles which I removed used to be which I need to bring up to
level with the rest of the floor. What is the best and easiest way to
do this?

Also underneath some of the tiles it looks as though they have been
laid directly on to the ground (damp soil) is this possible and if so
how? my house is Victorian and has some suspended wooden floors and
some concrete floors.

I want to if possible just lay some new tiles over the top of the
existing tiles, is this a wise idea or should I really remove all of
the old tiles, what if I do this and it is soil underneath? should I
lay a concrete base??

Any help or advice most welcome!

Cheers

Richard
The Natural Philosopher

Richard wrote:

Hi

I had a very uneven hallway after I removed our cupboard from
underneath the stairs. The hallway has old victorian style tiles on
the floor, quite small probably 4"x4" and in the cupbard were chunky
what I think are quarry tiles

I managed to remove some of the chunky quarry tiles which were
throwing the level right off and the remaining tiles (chunky and
small)are pretty much level now. However I have an area where the old
chunky tiles which I removed used to be which I need to bring up to
level with the rest of the floor. What is the best and easiest way to
do this?

Levelling compound, or, if rtetiling, thick bed of stiffly mixed rapid
set cement.

Also underneath some of the tiles it looks as though they have been
laid directly on to the ground (damp soil) is this possible and if so
how?

Yes. Just lay them on the ground?

my house is Victorian and has some suspended wooden floors and
some concrete floors.

I want to if possible just lay some new tiles over the top of the
existing tiles, is this a wise idea or should I really remove all of
the old tiles, what if I do this and it is soil underneath? should I
lay a concrete base??

Ideally you would strip it all up, lay a concrete base, put down damp
proof memmbrane and then re-screed it and then think about tiling it :-)

If damp is not a huge worry for you, just levell it all off with
levelling compund, and tile itr.

Any help or advice most welcome!

Cheers

Richard

Richard

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
Richard wrote:

Hi

I had a very uneven hallway after I removed our cupboard from
underneath the stairs. The hallway has old victorian style tiles on
the floor, quite small probably 4"x4" and in the cupbard were chunky
what I think are quarry tiles

I managed to remove some of the chunky quarry tiles which were
throwing the level right off and the remaining tiles (chunky and
small)are pretty much level now. However I have an area where the old
chunky tiles which I removed used to be which I need to bring up to
level with the rest of the floor. What is the best and easiest way to
do this?

Levelling compound, or, if rtetiling, thick bed of stiffly mixed rapid
set cement.

the depth required to fill is about 1.5 inch and in some places will
be over soil, still ok?

when you say leveling compound is it that stuff you can simply poor in
and drys looking like slate or bitumen? After I ripped up the old
laminate flooring to reveal the old tiles there were some points which
had this stuff over, I guess this was some kind of levelling compound.
I chipped it all away thinking I was going to restore the tiles!

I will be plasterboarding the underneath of the stairs and skimming it
(Well I wont be, my plasterer will) how should I handle the tile and
plaster meeting point are there kind of kick boards available to use?
do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your repsonse

Cheers

Richard

[...]

Brett Jackson

snip

I will be plasterboarding the underneath of the stairs and skimming it
(Well I wont be, my plasterer will) how should I handle the tile and
plaster meeting point are there kind of kick boards available to use?
do you have any suggestions?

Just done my kitchen and put a row of floor tiles vertically to meet the
wall. It looks quite good and you can probably use some standard tile
edging strip along the top.

I think you have to be careful to make sure the plaster doesn't go right to
the floor though as depending on your construction you may bridge the damp
proof course.

Prep for tiling floor Mastermech Home Repair 0 July 29th 04 04:47 PM
leveling a VERY uneven basement concrete floor D K Woods Home Repair 20 April 28th 04 11:39 PM
Tiling to the floor? Des UK diy 5 March 4th 04 12:37 PM
ceramic floor tiling prep. Jed Spud UK diy 2 March 2nd 04 08:35 AM
Tiling a not-flat floor MDixon1918 Home Repair 6 January 15th 04 05:48 PM