Richard

Default Tiling an uneven floor

Hi

I had a very uneven hallway after I removed our cupboard from
underneath the stairs. The hallway has old victorian style tiles on
the floor, quite small probably 4"x4" and in the cupbard were chunky
what I think are quarry tiles

I managed to remove some of the chunky quarry tiles which were
throwing the level right off and the remaining tiles (chunky and
small)are pretty much level now. However I have an area where the old
chunky tiles which I removed used to be which I need to bring up to
level with the rest of the floor. What is the best and easiest way to
do this?

Also underneath some of the tiles it looks as though they have been
laid directly on to the ground (damp soil) is this possible and if so
how? my house is Victorian and has some suspended wooden floors and
some concrete floors.

I want to if possible just lay some new tiles over the top of the
existing tiles, is this a wise idea or should I really remove all of
the old tiles, what if I do this and it is soil underneath? should I
lay a concrete base??

Any help or advice most welcome!

Cheers

Richard