Robert Sefton

Default wood floor on uneven slab

We had a beautiful Lauzon engineered wood floor installed in the living room
(slab on grade) of the house we just bought. When we moved in we found that the
living room floor has a valley in it about an inch deep and 3'-4' wide about
half the length of the room (it gradually tapers away). This makes half the room
almost unusable for setting furniture. The depression is so deep you can feel it
just walking across it. (Lauzon's installation guide specs no more than 3/16"
variation over an 8' span. We must be 5-6 times that, which probably voids
Lauzon's warranty.)

I called the contractor on it and he said he could have filled the depression
with patch material, but his experience is that eventually (after a year or two)
the wood would release from the patch material resulting in a crunchy "popcorn"
sound when walking over that area. He felt the better solution was to live with
the valley (would have been nice if he'd asked me first). The wood runs with the
valley, so I think it will stay glued down. He's willing to fix it (i.e., rip
the floor up, patch, and install new wood), but he thinks we'll regret it.

I'll have him rip out the wood and install carpet (which is what we replaced)
before I'll pay $10k for a warped wood floor, but I don't want the floor to
release from the patch material either. Lauzon requires a vinyl mat to be laid
between the wood and the slab as a moisture barrier. I suggested that he could
build up layers of vinyl glued together to fill the depression without the risk
of the wood coming loose, but I think that area of the floor will sound/feel
dead compared to the rest of the room. Any experience/recommendations on this?

Thanks,

Robert

HARDKEN

Sounds like bull**** , kick his ass
your floorlayer was in a hurry to make cash and now you are ****ed ,
next time go with someone well established!!