Posted to alt.home.repair
~Roy

Default Uneven and cracked slab fix?

Slab is varouis thicknes, from 4" to over 2 feet in other places.
Approximately 27 feet long by 13 feet wide. At one time the prvious
owner painted it, and its a mess, then the wife wanted to install
outdoor carpet over it, which I did, after leveling it off with sand.
It worked fine for about 5 years but its starting to get hollows here
and there after lots of heavy downpours. We have a hot tube setting on
it, and there is no over head shade. The slab got cracked when there
used to be a huge oak tree growing near it, and the roots created some
damages, but tree is long gone and history. So what my problem is, is
to make that back slab where he have the hot tub and outside patio
stuff which we use quite a lot most all year around a bit nicer.
Ripping up slab and pouring new concrete is not really an option. What
we had in mind were a few ideas as stated below.

1.Level off slab with sand and lay down pavers, and use mortar to
bonmd the last rows(s) in place so they do not move.
2. Level it off with pressure treated lumber 2 x 4 or 2 x 6, and
install 5/4" decking, which will raise height of slab up 4 or 6 inches
or so, which would eliminate one bottom step on the outside steps in
the back door, but create one step to get onto the deck at the
driveway, which is fine also.
3. Pour a skim coat of concrete (sand mix) to level it up and then
install carpet again......(not really keen on this concept sa carpet
gets mildewed and algae on it really quick in this region.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

"The original frugal ponder"
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

~Roy wrote:
[...]

I have a feeling that all three have the same problem. It will continue
to have problems because of the instability of the foundation.

I think your best chance might be mud jacking or rip it totally out and
start over.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
~Roy

Its stabil now, and has been for a number of years. Its just now that
we want to do a bit more with it, to make it easier to set tables,
chairs, BBQ grill and hot tub on it. No further damages have occured
since tree and its roots were removed, and the hollows filled with
concrete. So what were really looking for is a way to cover it all up
to make it more useable........not really concerned with integrity at
this point as its sound.

"The original frugal ponder"
Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

~Roy wrote:

1.Level off slab with sand and lay down pavers, and use mortar to
bonmd the last rows(s) in place so they do not move.
2. Level it off with pressure treated lumber 2 x 4 or 2 x 6, and
install 5/4" decking, which will raise height of slab up 4 or 6 inches
or so, which would eliminate one bottom step on the outside steps in
the back door, but create one step to get onto the deck at the
driveway, which is fine also.
3. Pour a skim coat of concrete (sand mix) to level it up and then
install carpet again......(not really keen on this concept sa carpet
gets mildewed and algae on it really quick in this region.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

I think you've about covered the obvious options. You could combine 2 & 3:
don't cover with carpet, cover with decking.

Choice now comes down to cost/appearance plus anticipated maintenance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another option would be to have stamped concrete poured on top of it,
which can be finished in any color and made to look like stone, brick,
cobblestone, etc