Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] rklotz@gmail.com is offline

Default Tiling over a slightly uneven concrete slab

On Feb 12, 10:37 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Im in the process of gutting a tiny half bath and Im about to tile the
floor. After pulling up the original flooring and cleaning it, I did a
quick dry layout of some of the tiles and noticed that a few spots in
the floor were not 100% level. At this point I put down 1/4 inch
backerboard to try an dlevel the floor. Unfortunately the problem is
still there. Can I get away with going a little heavy with the thinset
in the uneven areas? I know there are self leveling compounds, but I'd
like to avoid that if possible.

Most of my ideas are either way too involved, or dead wrong. But, what if
you installed a temporary wooden frame around the edges, there the molding
would normally be, and pour in a thin layer of concrete, enough to level the
entire floor? Remove the frame, replace with molding.....

I dunno.....

Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping to avoid raising the floor
any higher. I already put in the cement board which added another 1/4
inch.