Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central air vac system

I bought a house that has a central air vac system. The system is not
functional so it needs to be replaced. There is a conduit / outlet in each
room.

Here is a pic of the vac unit in the garage:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000538.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000539.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000540.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000541.jpg

I think there should be a hose to be attached to the room outlets. I wonder
if I need to replace the unit and the hose, do I need to get the original
brand (Nutone) or any brand will work?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

On Feb 10, 8:09 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I bought a house that has a central air vac system. The system is not
functional so it needs to be replaced. There is a conduit / outlet in each
room.

Here is a pic of the vac unit in the garage:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000538.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000539.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000540.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000541.jpg

I think there should be a hose to be attached to the room outlets. I wonder
if I need to replace the unit and the hose, do I need to get the original
brand (Nutone) or any brand will work?

Thanks,

MC

You should be able to find other brands that will work. I just moved
into a house with a central vac that had a missing hose/powerhead. It
also had a leak. I crawled udner the house and fixed the leak, a pipe
just came loose, and got a new hose and power head from a local vac
store. The unit was made by Miele and cost ~ $450.00.
I only bought it on the condition that I could bring it back if I
didn't like it. We found the hose cumbersome to use, hard to store,
and the performance was not as good as our upright vac. I took it back
and bought a seperate vacuum for the upstairs which is much easier to
use, store and has better performance. Its just my opinion, but they
seem to be far more hassle than they're worth. I'm tearing mine out,
which will also give my more space in my garage.

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On mine (not a NuTone) the hose has a metal ring on it that shorts
across two little contacts in the wall box to turn the machine on. I
think the control voltage is 24volt, same as an a/c. It has a relay
inside the unit that sends the line voltage to the motor. Mine is 230
volt-- plenty powerful! Have you tried any troubleshooing on this unit
yet? If the unit is indeed bad, I would imagine it could be replaced
with any other brand. Holler if you got any questions-- I installed mine
myself:there really isn't that much to one. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, I gotta admit that the central vacs are about as much trouble as
they are worth. The best thing about them is that 100% of the dust gets
exhausted outside the house, so no dust at all inside. I know they have
regular vacs now with fancy HEPA filters that I suppose work pretty
well, but from what I have seen, a replacement filter for one of them
costs almost as much as the machine does. I got my central used for $50,
and probably another 100 for the wall boxes, fittings, a piece of pvc
and hose. The PVC is some oddball size (of course) but I used regular
pvc and fittings - 2" as I recall- all under the house, and rigged up
the special crap to hook up to it right as it came through the floor. No
way would I have ever paid the $$$ for a new one, much less paid for one
installed. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:09:28 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I bought a house that has a central air vac system. The system is not
functional so it needs to be replaced. There is a conduit / outlet in each
room.

Here is a pic of the vac unit in the garage:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000538.jpg

close up:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000539.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000540.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1000541.jpg

I think there should be a hose to be attached to the room outlets. I wonder
if I need to replace the unit and the hose, do I need to get the original
brand (Nutone) or any brand will work?

Thanks,

MC

imho:

When you say 'not functional' two things come to mind.

One the machine works, but doesn't clean. There is disconnected
pipling, and you might have more elsewhere. It looks like they need
regluing.

Two, the machine doesn't work. As in the motor doesn't operate. I
belive they sell replacement motors.

Now these are just guesses, since I can't actually look at the
machine. Tell us what you found, and what you did.

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com- Hide quoted text -

You can also buy a whole replacement power head unit, complete with
hose, which could be a good choice if the existing one is old and not
working. The newer ones have the AC cord embedded in the hose,
instead of using clips to hold a cord on, and that's a big plus. Just
need to be sure the connection is compatible with your outlets. I
bought one a few years ago for a 15+ year old system and found it
online. And you're right, doesn't work could mean anything from a
shot power head unit, to a shot vacuum, to broken pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I bought a house that has a central air vac system. The system is
not
functional so it needs to be replaced. There is a conduit / outlet
in each room.

Here is a pic of the vac unit in the garage:

I didn't look at your pictures because I know every brand is
different. Since the unit is bad & you don't have the hose, I'd have
an installer come out and install a new unit and they would replace
the wall plates and hose to match the new vac.

Boy, it seems you bought a real fixer upper!!

Tom J

Posted to alt.home.repair

my dad has a central vac but went back to a regular upright, its far
easier to drag a power cord than a power cord and hose.....

I tried his vac just to see and they are right what a PIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, what I mean is when I turn it on nothing happens. No sound no
humming nothing.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

MC- Hide quoted text -

Look for loose connection at main unit, its likely low voltage if so
try jumping it out.
my dads connectors were lose, I fixed his easy this way.

make certain the outlet its plugged into has power, and check for
interlocks which may have prevented it from running.

a lowq voltage line typically goes to all the places you plug hose in,
opening these trip the main unit on.

have you tried more than one location?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have Nutone Central Vac in our Garage and I also have the brochure. If
you like I can scan and send you
a copy. I can see that it has your Model CV-350 but it's in red. The
number for Nutone on the brochure is
800-543-8687. I don't know if they are still in business though.