Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default using central vac system for shop dust collection

we have a central vac system. are there reasons why i should not tie into
the central vac system for dust collection from my shop tools (table saw,
miter saw, etc). the tie in to the central vac system would be very close
to the collection unit.

please reply to newsgroup.

thanks,
bruce

Paul Franklin

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:17:21 -0500, "B" wrote:

we have a central vac system. are there reasons why i should not tie into
the central vac system for dust collection from my shop tools (table saw,
miter saw, etc). the tie in to the central vac system would be very close
to the collection unit.

please reply to newsgroup.

thanks,
bruce

Do a Google groups search in rec.woodworking for lots of threads on
this topic.

Short points: Dust collectors are designed to move lots more air
faster so they can capture chips, shavings, and dust better.

Central vac hoses are small diameter and clog easily with shavings or
chips.

Central vacs are designed for more intermittent use, so the motor runs
hotter when run for long periods, which can shorten life.

OTOH, central vacs usually exhaust outside, so the fine dust doesn't
stay in the shop. Of course, it's heated or conditioned air you're
pumping outside.

But it's better than nothing....

HTH,

Paul

Mike72903

central vac. Totally different design criteria. DAG rec.woodworking

Dust Collectors: A killer health hazard! Clarke Echols Woodworking 14 March 24th 04 03:26 AM
Dust Collection Bob Davis Woodworking 13 January 3rd 04 10:38 PM
dust collection? Grant Erwin Metalworking 9 November 26th 03 07:44 PM