Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Staining glazing putty

I have had some interior doors stripped of paint, and I intend to stain
them. The doors were once the way out to the house porch, but the porch has
since been completely converted into a room. The doors have windows and
about 20-percent of the old rock-hard white putty that's still holding the
panes in place.

My plan was to chip out the remains of the old putty, and then have a
carpenter insert wooden pieces in place of the putty to hold in the glass
panes. The wood, would therefore, be stained the same as the rest of the
doors.

The problem is, the old putty remains are as hard as a rock, and trying to
chip it out is taking forever, with the ever-present worry of cracking the
glass panes.

I am now considering leaving everything as it is, and just applying fresh
putty over the existing stuff. What's my best course of action with respect
to getting a color match between the stained wood and the new putty? Is
there a putty that can be mixed to the same color before application, or is
there a putty that can be stained with the same stain I use on the doors,
with the same color results? What about gel stains?

Thanks very much in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are these quite decorative?? Are you wanting to preserve? Is the
glass something special?

A carpenter can make trim from outside corner bead or other that
will cover the putty.

Heat will soften the putty. Think - wife's hair dryer.

The putty will never stain like wood.

You could probably hang a new door faster quicker cheaper and
easier.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Mr. R" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 12:46 pm, "Mr. R" wrote:
[...]

It's a lot easier to remove the putty after you smash the glass!
Seriously, if it's just ordinary glass, new plain window glass is not
at all expensive. Or, given the amount of time and effort you're
putting in to this project, you might want to consider putting in some
interesting glass. At a stained-glass shop you can find clear glass
with ripples, bubbles, patterns, etc. that might add some interest.
It's a little more expensive but not a whole lot. -- H

glazing putty HandyMart UK diy 7 May 20th 06 09:32 AM
Miters and putty Jay Pique Woodworking 4 March 29th 06 04:32 PM
What Is a Solvent for Putty? Harry Home Repair 2 August 5th 05 01:13 PM
Which glazing putty to use? Max UK diy 6 May 9th 05 11:09 PM
colored glazing putty Rob Woodworking 2 May 1st 05 01:31 AM