Posted to uk.d-i-y
HandyMart

Default glazing putty

What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 17 May 2006 06:42:09 +0100, HandyMart
wrote:

|What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?

Linseed oil putty goes hard after a long time.
Butyl putty stays soft for ages.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

|What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?

Linseed oil putty goes hard after a long time.
Butyl putty stays soft for ages.

Mine went hard, wrinkled and got eaten by birds
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Mine went hard, wrinkled and got eaten by birds

You are John Wayne Bobbit AICM£5

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

wrote:

|What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?

Linseed oil putty goes hard after a long time.
Butyl putty stays soft for ages.

Mine went hard, wrinkled and got eaten by birds

Acrylic is better than either of them

Posted to uk.d-i-y
HandyMart

wrote:

|What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?

Linseed oil putty goes hard after a long time.
Butyl putty stays soft for ages.

Mine went hard, wrinkled and got eaten by birds

Acrylic is better than either of them

Thanks all for comments so far. How does acrylic compare to the others
mentioned?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

wrote:

|What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?

Linseed oil putty goes hard after a long time.
Butyl putty stays soft for ages.

Mine went hard, wrinkled and got eaten by birds

Acrylic is better than either of them

Thanks all for comments so far. How does acrylic compare to the others
mentioned?

Acrylic goes hard enough to take paint in a couple of hours and stays
flexible enough not to crack and fall out in a couple of years. Linseed
putty depends on the paint not allowing the oil to dry, which in turn
depends on the thickness and degree of exposure to the elements. The
butyl stuff stays too tacky for a good paint finish.
I haven't seen it on sale as "acrylic putty" for a while but general
purpose acrylic sealants "suitable for glazing" would be ok.

Which glazing putty to use? Max UK diy 6 May 9th 05 11:09 PM
colored glazing putty Rob Woodworking 2 May 1st 05 01:31 AM
Any way to speed up putty drying...? Jim UK diy 9 March 18th 05 02:38 PM
Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty nosredna Home Repair 3 July 8th 04 09:50 PM
Double glazing - a few lessons Clive Long,UK UK diy 7 November 13th 03 09:58 AM