DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   glazing putty (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/161764-glazing-putty.html)

HandyMart May 17th 06 06:42 AM

glazing putty

What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?

Dave Fawthrop May 17th 06 06:55 AM

glazing putty

On Wed, 17 May 2006 06:42:09 +0100, HandyMart
wrote:

|What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?

Linseed oil putty goes hard after a long time.
Butyl putty stays soft for ages.

The Natural Philosopher May 17th 06 10:17 AM

glazing putty

wrote:

|What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?

Linseed oil putty goes hard after a long time.
Butyl putty stays soft for ages.

Mine went hard, wrinkled and got eaten by birds :(

Guy King May 17th 06 11:32 AM

glazing putty

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Mine went hard, wrinkled and got eaten by birds :(

You are John Wayne Bobbit AICM£5

--
Skipweasel

Stuart Noble May 17th 06 12:17 PM

glazing putty

wrote:

|What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?

Linseed oil putty goes hard after a long time.
Butyl putty stays soft for ages.

Mine went hard, wrinkled and got eaten by birds :(

Acrylic is better than either of them

HandyMart May 20th 06 08:05 AM

glazing putty

wrote:

|What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?

Linseed oil putty goes hard after a long time.
Butyl putty stays soft for ages.

Mine went hard, wrinkled and got eaten by birds :(

Acrylic is better than either of them

Thanks all for comments so far. How does acrylic compare to the others
mentioned?

Stuart Noble May 20th 06 09:32 AM

glazing putty

wrote:

|What are pros and cons of Butyl putty vs Linseed oil putty?

Linseed oil putty goes hard after a long time.
Butyl putty stays soft for ages.

Mine went hard, wrinkled and got eaten by birds :(

Acrylic is better than either of them

Thanks all for comments so far. How does acrylic compare to the others
mentioned?

Acrylic goes hard enough to take paint in a couple of hours and stays
flexible enough not to crack and fall out in a couple of years. Linseed
putty depends on the paint not allowing the oil to dry, which in turn
depends on the thickness and degree of exposure to the elements. The
butyl stuff stays too tacky for a good paint finish.
I haven't seen it on sale as "acrylic putty" for a while but general
purpose acrylic sealants "suitable for glazing" would be ok.