Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Default Miters and putty

A while back I posted a topic of the same name, found
here....http://tinyurl.com/qgt49.

To quote myself:
"When you glue up miters for trim or molding, what adhesive do you use?

It seems to me that if you used a putty type glue you could put just a
little extra on the 45s so that it squeezed out enough to fill any gap
that may be present. Then you could sand off the excess when it dries
and not have to worry about puttying it. Anyone do this? Or do you
all have *perfect* miters every time?"

Reading through this month's PopMech, I stumbled across an ad for a
product called Polyseamseal which appears to be the putty type glue I
was looking for.
www.polyseamseal.com

JP
Prescient...or just a lousy carpenter.

Posted to rec.woodworking
deadlock

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...
A while back I posted a topic of the same name, found
here....http://tinyurl.com/qgt49.

To quote myself:
"When you glue up miters for trim or molding, what adhesive do you use?

It seems to me that if you used a putty type glue you could put just a
little extra on the 45s so that it squeezed out enough to fill any gap
that may be present. Then you could sand off the excess when it dries
and not have to worry about puttying it. Anyone do this? Or do you
all have *perfect* miters every time?"

Reading through this month's PopMech, I stumbled across an ad for a
product called Polyseamseal which appears to be the putty type glue I
was looking for.
www.polyseamseal.com

Those putty type glues have virtually no mechanical strength and are
practically useless for fine joinery. Sanding could be a problem too, IME
they take days/ weeks to go anywhere near hard, if at all. I reach for white
or yellow glue, maybe UF for oily hardwoods. A good 96T blade in a well set
up quality mitre saw (Makita LS1013 for me) is a *big* help. And there's
always the nice, sharp, fine set block plane for those "blonde moments" we
sometimes all have when cutting.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

Jay Pique wrote:
A while back I posted a topic of the same name, found
here....http://tinyurl.com/qgt49.

To quote myself:
"When you glue up miters for trim or molding, what adhesive do you use?

It seems to me that if you used a putty type glue you could put just a
little extra on the 45s so that it squeezed out enough to fill any gap
that may be present. Then you could sand off the excess when it dries
and not have to worry about puttying it. Anyone do this? Or do you
all have *perfect* miters every time?"

Reading through this month's PopMech, I stumbled across an ad for a
product called Polyseamseal which appears to be the putty type glue I
was looking for.
www.polyseamseal.com

JP
Prescient...or just a lousy carpenter.

G'day Jay,
The perfect mitre is something we all aspire to.
However filling gaps in mitres with putty should be avoided if at all
possible. Because of the nature of the mitre the gap will go across the
grain, thus any filling will stand out like "Dogs' B@lls".
Sometimes it is best to leave well enough alone and put up with a small gap.
Just my opinion and experience.
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On 28 Mar 2006 11:41:19 -0800, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

It seems to me that if you used a putty type glue you could put just a
little extra on the 45s so that it squeezed out enough to fill any gap
that may be present. Then you could sand off the excess when it dries
and not have to worry about puttying it. Anyone do this? Or do you
all have *perfect* miters every time?"

Putty is not your friend.
Practice and experience will negate any need for it.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...
A while back I posted a topic of the same name, found
here....http://tinyurl.com/qgt49.

To quote myself:
"When you glue up miters for trim or molding, what adhesive do you use?

It seems to me that if you used a putty type glue you could put just a
little extra on the 45s so that it squeezed out enough to fill any gap
that may be present. Then you could sand off the excess when it dries
and not have to worry about puttying it. Anyone do this? Or do you
all have *perfect* miters every time?"

I don't know anything about putty glues but avoid wood putty at all costs in
my work. I spend a lot of time to get accurate cuts and if I mess up I make
a new piece.