Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frozen well pump - help!

Bear with me here, I might have some of the terminology wrong:

I water my horses from an outside well that's powered by an electric pump
down in the well. The "pump" that's frozen is the pump unit that's at
ground level, not the electric one down in the well. At least I HOPE it's
not the one down in the well...

Normally, when using the water, I hook up the hose to the ground level
"pump" (I don't know what else to call this part), lift the handle up and
then flip the switch to start the electric pump and pump the water.
After I'm done filling the troughs, I put the "pump" handle down and shut
off the electric.

Yesterday, there was an ice block in the hose so I shut off the electric,
detached the hose BUT I FORGOT TO PUT THE PUMP HANDLE DOWN. An hour
later, when I got back with the thawed hose, everything at the "pump" was
frozen solid. The handle is frozen in the up position and won't budge.
No water will come out when the electric pump is on.

I did try to thaw the ground level pump with a small propane torch for
almost an 45 minutes. I thought the only block must be in the top of the
ground level pump since no water would have been pushing upward from the
well without the electric running, right? But I had no luck. It did
cross my mind that parts that weren't receiving direct heat were
refreezing faster than I could keep them thawed. What do I need to do to
thaw this out? We're due to be in a deep freeze here for another week at
least. Do I need to call in professional help? Who do I call? A
plumber?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Giselle (obviously a city girl gone bad)

frozen chuck william kossack Woodworking 6 October 29th 06 03:40 PM
Frozen padlock Jim Home Repair 10 January 20th 06 09:43 PM
Frozen acetylen ? Francois Metalworking 3 January 24th 05 02:02 PM
Condensate pump drain for humidifier frozen Mikepier Home Repair 5 January 21st 05 11:07 PM
frozen glue Mike in Mystic Woodworking 12 February 1st 04 01:37 PM