Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Frozen well pump - help!

Now you're cookin, (figuratively) that makes more sense. The tent idea
sounds good. I hope you're not in Chicago where it's supposed to be 30
below. Good luck

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

I'm not getting the setup. It seems like if you had a deep well
(submersible) pump, you wouldn't need one at ground level.

Right. I didn't know the right words. Someone mentioned the piece at the
ground level is a riser spigot.

It may just
be a shallow well pump, In any event, if you allowed water up the pipe
and into the pump housing, if probably froze at the top of the pipe
and in the housing. If you can do it yourself, do as Ed suggested with
the pump. The pipe feeding the pump may be frozen near the surface as
well and need the torch. Also be careful not to drop that pipe down
the well. Tie a rope to it before you disconnect it. If you can't do
it yourself, I'd call well people first,before plumbers

I did the torch thing until my legs froze off last night. I don't think
my
torch was big enough to do anything but thaw a localized area.

I'm going to make one last ditch effort by setting up a sawhorse/tarp
house
around the spigot and put some heat lamps out there. If that doesn't
work,
then a well repairman will be summoned.

Thanks.