Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frozen well pump - help!

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
I did try to thaw the ground level pump with a small propane torch for
almost an 45 minutes. I thought the only block must be in the top of the
ground level pump since no water would have been pushing upward from the
well without the electric running, right? But I had no luck. It did
cross my mind that parts that weren't receiving direct heat were
refreezing faster than I could keep them thawed. What do I need to do to
thaw this out? We're due to be in a deep freeze here for another week at
least. Do I need to call in professional help? Who do I call? A
plumber?

Since you left water in the outer pump, there would be water in the line
from the pump back. Can the pump be removed? If so, take it off and take
it inside to thaw and you can then work on the rest of the piping if need
be. It is also possible that the freezing cracked the pump housing and it
will not work or will leak.