Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Change Siding

Recently my home got hell damage on the aluminum siding. My insurance
company offered changing two sides of the house. A contractor company
offered us to replace all sides with Vinyl with same amount of money.
I worried about the value of the house will be affected by changing
from Aluminum to Vinyl siding, is my concern reasonable? We live in
north-midwest US area where the temperature are relatively low all
year around.

I am new to home stuff, should I replace all sides to Vinyl? can
someone give some suggestion?

Thanks very much ahead.
Novtim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 11:38 am, "Novtim" wrote:
Recently my home got hell damage on the aluminum siding. My insurance
company offered changing two sides of the house. A contractor company
offered us to replace all sides with Vinyl with same amount of money.
I worried about the value of the house will be affected by changing
from Aluminum to Vinyl siding, is my concern reasonable? We live in
north-midwest US area where the temperature are relatively low all
year around.

I am new to home stuff, should I replace all sides to Vinyl? can
someone give some suggestion?

Thanks very much ahead.
Novtim

I can't imagine it would.

You may want to call a realtor and just ask if having aluminum siding
over vinyl is a selling point.

If it's not I would go with the vinyl if only because it doesn't dent
in hail storms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Novtim" wrote in message
oups.com...
A contractor company
offered us to replace all sides with Vinyl with same amount of money.
I worried about the value of the house will be affected by changing
from Aluminum to Vinyl siding, is my concern reasonable? We live in
north-midwest US area where the temperature are relatively low all
year around.

I am new to home stuff, should I replace all sides to Vinyl? can
someone give some suggestion?

Replacing two sides will probably look like crap unless it is new and easily
matched. IMO, vinyl will add, not subtract, from the value of the house.
Use a good brand and it will last 50 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Feb 3, 10:38 am, "Novtim" wrote:
Recently my home got hell damage on the aluminum siding. My insurance
company offered changing two sides of the house. A contractor company
offered us to replace all sides with Vinyl with same amount of money.
I worried about the value of the house will be affected by changing
from Aluminum to Vinyl siding, is my concern reasonable? We live in
north-midwest US area where the temperature are relatively low all
year around.

I am new to home stuff, should I replace all sides to Vinyl? can
someone give some suggestion?

That's a hail of a deal.

From hail-prone area in middle (north-south) high plains. Hail

simply shreds vinyl to ribbons here and exposes the underlayment and
more during severe storms so I personally wouldn't consider it. The
AL siding gets dented, of course, but doesn't normally get totally
torn through as vinyl so is still able to shed water. Not sure
whether this was an aberration of a storm for your locale or not -- if
it was very recent, this is quite an unusual time of year for severe
hail in the northern US.

I'd probably go back w/ the aluminum if it were me, assuming they can
get a reasonable match. There's steel siding on the house here and it
has been through a number of severe hailstorms in the approx 30
years. It shows some dings and dents, particularly on the south side,
but hasn't required replacing any, at least so far (knock,
knock... ). We did miss the hail track from the really, really bad
one that took out every roof and every window on the east and north
sides of virtually every house in town three years ago this coming
spring. It, of course, was a "mother of all hail storms" w/ baseball
to softball-size hail and 80-90 mph wind for 45 minutes. That's a one-
in-several-hundred kind of event, even here.

Anyway, if your area is anything like here, I'd stay away from vinyl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This morning the repair company showed me .046'' Crane vinyl sidings.
He also said the new vinyl siding will increase the value of the
house. And his company did many replairs/replacement in the
neibourhood. I think I will take his offer.

Thanks all of you. Have a nice superball weekend.

Regards,
Novtim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Novtim" wrote in message
oups.com...
This morning the repair company showed me .046'' Crane vinyl sidings.
He also said the new vinyl siding will increase the value of the
house. And his company did many replairs/replacement in the
neibourhood. I think I will take his offer.

Thanks all of you. Have a nice superball weekend.

Did he offer you the 'special discount' for being in his picture book to
show future customers, too?

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

You DO NOT want vinyl siding. If this so called HELL damage is only on two
sides, and that is all the insurance is offering to pay, then I'd challenge
them to find a contractor that could replace two sides and make it match
exactly.

--
Steve Barker

"Novtim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Recently my home got hell damage on the aluminum siding. My insurance
company offered changing two sides of the house. A contractor company
offered us to replace all sides with Vinyl with same amount of money.
I worried about the value of the house will be affected by changing
from Aluminum to Vinyl siding, is my concern reasonable? We live in
north-midwest US area where the temperature are relatively low all
year around.

I am new to home stuff, should I replace all sides to Vinyl? can
someone give some suggestion?

Thanks very much ahead.
Novtim

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, it breaks. And holes in it.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
If it's not I would go with the vinyl if only because it doesn't dent
in hail storms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Better call the Steel siding boys and take a look at that first. You'll be
sorry with vinyl.

--
Steve Barker

"Novtim" wrote in message
oups.com...
This morning the repair company showed me .046'' Crane vinyl sidings.
He also said the new vinyl siding will increase the value of the
house. And his company did many replairs/replacement in the
neibourhood. I think I will take his offer.

Thanks all of you. Have a nice superball weekend.

Regards,
Novtim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
You DO NOT want vinyl siding. If this so called HELL damage is only on
two sides, and that is all the insurance is offering to pay, then I'd
challenge them to find a contractor that could replace two sides and make
it match exactly.

--
Steve Barker

And then while they are typing up the cancellation notice try to find more
insurance when you had a claim in the last 3 years.