Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Garage

I'm new to this whole homeowner thing and one item that has me stumped is
whether or not I should write off my garage.

I took a tape measure and my garage door is 8 feet wide. My Ranger is 6 1/2
feet wide. Common sense would indicate that I can put my truck in the
garage. But I'm looking at it and thinking to myself, "there's no way in
hell that this truck'll fit in there without ripping the mirrors off - never
mind getting back out!" So I'm scratching my head wondering if I should
risk it, or toss up my hands and vow that that garage is only to be used for
a machine shop and workout room. I don't accumulate "stuff", it's not who I
am, so I don't expect it to become a pit of doom filled with endless boxes
of junk and spiders.

So how many of you actually put your cars in your garages, and how many have
given it up as "that cold part of the house where I put stuff."?

I'm personally not going to use it as a garage any time soon, 1) I don't
want to risk bashing up my truck on the garage door frame 2) I don't want
to risk ramming the water heater and/or gas main which happen to sit inside
my garage right next to where my truck would go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 17:07:08 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

[...]

Why can't you put the car in the garage? If it's a tight fit just keep
track of your drivers side mirror. Car haulers do it daily. You should
be able to also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most cars/trucks have mirrors that fold back just because of this.
Also, either suspend a tennis ball from a string to hit your
windshield, or put a block/frame on the floor to limit how far you go
into the garage.

Mine is a fairly tight fit, but I know just how far in I can go. If I
need to get to my workbench, I simply back the car out. For storage, I
have shelves/cabinets that do not interfere with the car when it is in
the garage.

Also, for "stuff," consider a small storage shed, if you zoning will
allow it. That helps a great deal. Bicycles can be suspended from the
ceiling from hooks. The walls are your friend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote in article
.. .
[...]

In my first house with a garage, it was for a single car which, like yours,
would barely fit. So, it was used mostly for storage; lawn mowers and the
like, and a work space weather permitting. When it snowed, I managed to get
the car in....slowly.
Next house; 2 1/2 car garage which accommodates one car, tractor, garden
tools and other misc. stuff; but with all that in it, the big truck and
boat won't fit. ;-
Moral: they're never big enough. So, enjoy the extra space for now and plan
for the future. Good luck!

TomC
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomC" wrote in message
st.net....

[...]

Well if I am to ever get it in there, I'm gonna have to figure out how to
protect the water heater. The last thing I need to do is bump the water
heater, breaking the gas line and setting off a blast. Maybe I can
sledgehammer a hole in the garage floor and sink a cast iron sewer pipe and
fill it with concrete?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I'm new to this whole homeowner thing and one item that has me
stumped is whether or not I should write off my garage.

I took a tape measure and my garage door is 8 feet wide. My Ranger
is 6 1/2 feet wide. Common sense would indicate that I can put my
truck in the garage. But I'm looking at it and thinking to myself,
"there's no way in hell that this truck'll fit in there without
ripping the mirrors off - never mind getting back out!" So I'm
scratching my head wondering if I should risk it, or toss up my hands
and vow that that garage is only to be used for a machine shop and
workout room.

What's the problem?

Get a smaller car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
I'm new to this whole homeowner thing and one item that has me
stumped is whether or not I should write off my garage.

I took a tape measure and my garage door is 8 feet wide. My Ranger
is 6 1/2 feet wide. Common sense would indicate that I can put my
truck in the garage. But I'm looking at it and thinking to myself,
"there's no way in hell that this truck'll fit in there without
ripping the mirrors off - never mind getting back out!" So I'm
scratching my head wondering if I should risk it, or toss up my hands
and vow that that garage is only to be used for a machine shop and
workout room.

What's the problem?

Get a smaller car.

Actually the part that ****es me off royally is the fact that my buddy
routinely parks his '73 Gran Torino in his garage. Looks like it's time to
pull up the panties and do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Our vehicles have not spent more than a night or two outside since 1987.

Might be why my 1996 truck looks like it is 5 years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I'm new to this whole homeowner thing and one item that has me stumped is
whether or not I should write off my garage.

I took a tape measure and my garage door is 8 feet wide. My Ranger is 6
1/2 feet wide. Common sense would indicate that I can put my truck in the
garage. But I'm looking at it and thinking to myself, "there's no way in
hell that this truck'll fit in there without ripping the mirrors off -
never mind getting back out!"

Unless you have some sort of super extended mirrors, you should turn in your
driver's license if you can't get in and out with that much space. My car
is 74" plus mirror and I put it in the garage easily. I do find it easier
to back in and just watch the right side mirror. If that clears by an inch,
I know the other side will easily and I have plenty of room to open the
door. As for hitting anything in the rear, I just line up with something on
the side, like the window frame with the window of the garage. Perfect
positioning every time. If that scares you, hang a string with a weight and
stop when you hit the string.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector writes:

So how many of you actually put your cars in your garages, and how
many have given it up as "that cold part of the house where I put
stuff."?

Here in Florida, it's "that hot part of the house ...".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Everyone I know has a two car or three car garage
and they all put 1 or 2 cars (or trucks) in the
car. Most of the doors are two low for a 3/4 or
1/2 truck. Most trucks/vehicles have mirrors that
can be rotated to give more clearance. I just
drive my Explorer in and watch the mirror so that
it misses the door frame on the driver's side by
1-2 inches. Maybe you ought to try driving in at
a speed of less than 10 mph. It is not difficult.

For a forward stop you put the vehicle in
(carefully) and hang a ball on a string from the
ceiling so that it touches the windshield. (Don't
know what happened to the damn ball, there is an
old tooth brush on the string now). You can do
the same for side markers, but if you drive
straight in you shouldn't need side markers.
There is no problem in backing out if you drive in
straight; just don't move the wheel and watch the
driver's side mirror at the driver's side door frame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
[...]

My 2000 truck has always been outside (garage door
too low), but i looks like it is only one year old
(when it gets washed)/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote in article
.. .

"TomC" wrote in message
st.net....

[...]

After you park it successfully the first time, lay a 4X4 or something like
it under the back tire. In the future you'll know you've gone far enough
when you hit it. Just make sure it's something that's heavy so it won't be
easily moved. After awhile, you'll get use to parking and you won't need
the back stop.
TomC
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Eigenvector writes:

So how many of you actually put your cars in your garages, and how
many have given it up as "that cold part of the house where I put
stuff."?

Here in Florida, it's "that hot part of the house ...".

Hmmm,
Our double garage is always used for two car parking. Outside now is
-17C. Inside garage is much warmer even if not as warm as inside house, LOL!

Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 6 November 26th 06 03:46 PM
garage, Micky Savage UK diy 2 November 20th 06 10:26 AM
Link Garage Lights to Garage Opener? GoHabsGo Home Repair 10 February 15th 06 01:23 PM
Is it possible in a garage? cixcix Metalworking 4 December 22nd 05 07:49 PM
Garage door & garage light Michael T Home Repair 4 March 11th 05 03:47 PM