Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default The Garage

I'm new to this whole homeowner thing and one item that has me stumped is
whether or not I should write off my garage.

I took a tape measure and my garage door is 8 feet wide. My Ranger is 6 1/2
feet wide. Common sense would indicate that I can put my truck in the
garage. But I'm looking at it and thinking to myself, "there's no way in
hell that this truck'll fit in there without ripping the mirrors off - never
mind getting back out!" So I'm scratching my head wondering if I should
risk it, or toss up my hands and vow that that garage is only to be used for
a machine shop and workout room. I don't accumulate "stuff", it's not who I
am, so I don't expect it to become a pit of doom filled with endless boxes
of junk and spiders.

So how many of you actually put your cars in your garages, and how many have
given it up as "that cold part of the house where I put stuff."?

I'm personally not going to use it as a garage any time soon, 1) I don't
want to risk bashing up my truck on the garage door frame 2) I don't want
to risk ramming the water heater and/or gas main which happen to sit inside
my garage right next to where my truck would go.