Posted to alt.home.repair
TomC TomC is offline

Default The Garage

Eigenvector wrote in article
.. .
I'm new to this whole homeowner thing and one item that has me stumped is

whether or not I should write off my garage.

I took a tape measure and my garage door is 8 feet wide. My Ranger is 6

1/2
feet wide. Common sense would indicate that I can put my truck in the
garage. But I'm looking at it and thinking to myself, "there's no way in

hell that this truck'll fit in there without ripping the mirrors off -

never
mind getting back out!" So I'm scratching my head wondering if I should
risk it, or toss up my hands and vow that that garage is only to be used

for
a machine shop and workout room. I don't accumulate "stuff", it's not

who I
am, so I don't expect it to become a pit of doom filled with endless

boxes
of junk and spiders.

So how many of you actually put your cars in your garages, and how many

have
given it up as "that cold part of the house where I put stuff."?

I'm personally not going to use it as a garage any time soon, 1) I don't

want to risk bashing up my truck on the garage door frame 2) I don't

want
to risk ramming the water heater and/or gas main which happen to sit

inside
my garage right next to where my truck would go.

In my first house with a garage, it was for a single car which, like yours,
would barely fit. So, it was used mostly for storage; lawn mowers and the
like, and a work space weather permitting. When it snowed, I managed to get
the car in....slowly.
Next house; 2 1/2 car garage which accommodates one car, tractor, garden
tools and other misc. stuff; but with all that in it, the big truck and
boat won't fit. ;-
Moral: they're never big enough. So, enjoy the extra space for now and plan
for the future. Good luck!

TomC