Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are you paying for heating oil?

With price cap contract and 10 cents a gallon discount for automatic
credit card payment,
today's oil delivery was still $2.89/gal here in northern DE. Just
wonder if we are being
gouged and wonder what others are paying.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Frank,

Earlier this month, I paid 75.9 cents per litre. There are 3.78
litres in a U.S. gallon (in another thread I had mistakenly said
3.76), so that works out to be $2.87 per gallon, before taxes and in
Canadian funds. When you factor in currency exchange, the final
number is approximately $2.43 per gallon.

My previous fill-up in early September was at $2.62 per gallon and
prior to that it was $2.69 (in U.S. dollars).

Natural gas and heating oil futures have been climbing with this
recent cold weather. Yesterday, heating oil gained almost nine cents
per gallon and so far today, it's trading up another 2.4 cents. If
your distributor will be replenishing his inventory at these higher
prices, some of that additional cost will likely to be passed on to
you now.

Cheers,
Paul

On 31 Jan 2007 09:41:37 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

With price cap contract and 10 cents a gallon discount for automatic
credit card payment,
today's oil delivery was still $2.89/gal here in northern DE. Just
wonder if we are being
gouged and wonder what others are paying.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
With price cap contract and 10 cents a gallon discount for automatic
credit card payment,
today's oil delivery was still $2.89/gal here in northern DE. Just
wonder if we are being
gouged and wonder what others are paying.
Frank

Your are not being gouged, you are being taken for a wild ride and screwed
with no lubricant.

I just paid 1.929 for COD here in northeast CT. A local place where I work
in MA is 2.269. In September, the dealer I had been using offered a
contract with a price of 2.75. I thought it was high and declined it. Glad
I did.

Best price I found is an outfit out of PA that covers PA, NJ, CT, RI, MA
Dollarwise Oil. They have a web page, www.dollarwiseoil.com but the price
was lower when I called. Delivery was through a local dealer so I guess
they have a network of some sort to handle actual delivery for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Virginia, $2.449.

What I don't understand is why #2 diesel is the same or cheaper at the
pump. I thought heating oil was cheaper because it's untaxed.

Does anyone know if heating oil is cheaper in the summer? I'm at the
point where I might squeeze by with what's left in the tank. Then I
could rebuild the tank base while it's empty (it's sitting on cinder
blocks right now) and refill in the off-season. Or I could call for a
refill today and enjoy the heat.

-rev

On Jan 31, 12:41 pm, "Frank" wrote:
With price cap contract and 10 cents a gallon discount for automatic
credit card payment,
today's oil delivery was still $2.89/gal here in northern DE. Just
wonder if we are being
gouged and wonder what others are paying.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Best price I found is an outfit out of PA that covers PA, NJ, CT, RI, MA
Dollarwise Oil. They have a web page, www.dollarwiseoil.com but the

price
was lower when I called. Delivery was through a local dealer so I guess
they have a network of some sort to handle actual delivery for them.

I see that they quote $2.019 for my area. Did check with neighbor who gets
more oil than us and he's also paying through the nose from another large
local company. My wife does not want to separate oil purchase from burner
and ac contractor. I know a lot of these small gypsies are cheaper but we
got badly burned by a bad furnace installation several years ago and have
stayed with this premium dealer. Planted the seed with my wife, that next
year we tell dealer we are going out of town for the winter and maybe get
the cheaper source for our oil then.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message
What I don't understand is why #2 diesel is the same or cheaper at the
pump. I thought heating oil was cheaper because it's untaxed.

Around here, diesel was more, but I've not noticed it lately,. Tax is the
big difference, but diesel now has to be low sulpur to meet emissions
standars in cars.

Does anyone know if heating oil is cheaper in the summer? I'm at the
point where I might squeeze by with what's left in the tank. Then I
could rebuild the tank base while it's empty (it's sitting on cinder
blocks right now) and refill in the off-season. Or I could call for a
refill today and enjoy the heat.

Over the years, summer prices for heating oil can be much lower, but 2006
was an exception. The lowest price of the season was the past week, about
15¢ less than it was this past summer. I don't ever remember that in the 25
years I've been using oil for heat. Highest prices are usually January and
February when demand is the highest. Low oil prices and mild temperature
gave us a bit advantage right now. Considering past long term history
versus the past two months, I'd say it is a crap shoot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

-rev I wouldn't recommend letting your tank get that low. There is
usually some sludge in the bottom which could get into the furnace.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank.logullo" wrote in message
I see that they quote $2.019 for my area. Did check with neighbor who
gets
more oil than us and he's also paying through the nose from another large
local company. My wife does not want to separate oil purchase from burner
and ac contractor. I know a lot of these small gypsies are cheaper but we
got badly burned by a bad furnace installation several years ago and have
stayed with this premium dealer. Planted the seed with my wife, that next
year we tell dealer we are going out of town for the winter and maybe get
the cheaper source for our oil then.

I partly agree with your wife, but how much of a premium are you willing to
pay? For a number of years I used the same dealer with automatic delivery,
budget payments over 11 months, it was all nice and easy. I paid a premium
of about 10¢ over the 800 gallon a year I use. When the premium became 75¢
on the newly offered contract, I said "no thanks" and moved on.

Another reason I changed was the contract last year was for 750 gallons
price protected, but only from 9/1 to 4/15. During that time, they delivered
500 gallons, then they filled my tank on 4/20 at a higher price since the
contract was expired. That ****ed me off. My delivery on Monday was 160
gallons. Do the math. I'll take my chances with an independent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Jan 2007 09:41:37 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

With price cap contract and 10 cents a gallon discount for automatic
credit card payment,
today's oil delivery was still $2.89/gal here in northern DE. Just
wonder if we are being
gouged and wonder what others are paying.

Upstate NY, near Albany-
$2.70/gallon last week. [Last year they were .30 lower]

I was offered a 'budget' price of $2.94 last June. [the year before I
was offered a budget price of $2.00, but I had to buy 600 gallons up
front. I've never used more than 450 gallons, so I turned it down.
Last year I only used 270 gallons, so I got a bargain by refusing the
budget 2 yrs in a row.]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 11:41 am, "Frank" wrote:
With price cap contract and 10 cents a gallon discount for automatic
credit card payment,
today's oil delivery was still $2.89/gal here in northern DE. Just
wonder if we are being
gouged and wonder what others are paying.
Frank

Will this help? http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/
pet_pri_wfr_a_EPD2F_PRS_cpgal_w.htm
I use propane and the new supplier said there is a penalty if I use
less than 1,000 gallons a year..Kinda puts a crimp in the conserving
to save money ideas!! If I use less fuel then I have to give My
savings to them!!So at least some of My work spent weatherizing is
going in their pocket..I do'nt remember how much of a penalty
tho,,should check on that,,I spose conserving is still worth it to
keep demand/prices a bit lower for Everyone..Weatherizing will mean
less wear n tear on the heating system too I guess..
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Dean wrote:
On Jan 31, 11:41 am, "Frank" wrote:

I use propane and the new supplier said there is a penalty if I use
less than 1,000 gallons a year..Kinda puts a crimp in the conserving
to save money ideas!! If I use less fuel then I have to give My
savings to them!!So at least some of My work spent weatherizing is
going in their pocket..I do'nt remember how much of a penalty
tho,,should check on that,,I spose conserving is still worth it to
keep demand/prices a bit lower for Everyone..Weatherizing will mean
less wear n tear on the heating system too I guess.. Dean

Makes me glad to use gas. I only pay for what I use, not store.

Since I also supplement my heating with wood the local utility doesn't
get very much at all. But if and when I need it, it is readily available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 10:34 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
[...]

Wife moving on this and our supplier will drop 50 cents/gal off next
delivery.
When contract ends in spring, we're going elsewhere. I don't mind a
small premium but this was outrageous coupled with the price cap
contract.

Wife still wants full service provider and hopes to get contract with
no price cap and oil payment cod next season.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
With price cap contract and 10 cents a gallon discount for automatic
credit card payment,
today's oil delivery was still $2.89/gal here in northern DE. Just
wonder if we are being
gouged and wonder what others are paying.
Frank

Just got fuel oil last week at $1.969 per gallon. I had been paying
$2.199 per gallon in October.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
When contract ends in spring, we're going elsewhere. I don't mind a
small premium but this was outrageous coupled with the price cap
contract.
Wife still wants full service provider and hopes to get contract with
no price cap and oil payment cod next season.

Next season will be interesting. The dealers also got caught with the price
of oil dropping. It is lower now than it was all summer so everyone
anticipated very high prices in mid-winter.