Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to look for in an open utility trailor

I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that
hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want
to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow
1500 lbs.

What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

Thanks!

Lenny

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 5:46 am, Leonardo wrote:
I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that
hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want
to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow
1500 lbs.

What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

Thanks!

Lenny

Years ago I had a 74 c-10,,3 on the tree and a 400ci motor from a
caprice,,that old girl would really rip! A friend borrowed it to run
to town,,came back with the speedometer broken and wanting to buy the
motor for His 4x4..
"What qualities",,sturdy,lightweight with centered wheels to
balance tounge weight of course..Wires should be in some sort of
conduit and easily accessed for future replacement..Easily seen tail/
turn lights..A cargo light(add on?)might be nice..When I say
"lightweight" it should'nt bounce erratically when empty at h-way
speed tho,,not that lightweight!
A compartment for spare tire,jack,tie-downs and basic tools is a
good option..stow away ramps are last but not least,,or a flip-up
single ramp like on a snowmobile trailer for loading riding mowers n
such..
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Leonardo wrote:

I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that
hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want
to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow
1500 lbs.

What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

I still keep my trusty '70 Chev C30, I only use it a couple of times a
year and spend more on insurance ($100) than gas and tags combined, but
it's still cheaper than buying a trailer of decent capacity. I have to
haul 4' x 8' sheets, and occsionally gravel, etc. Uses no gas just
sitting there
Posted to alt.home.repair

What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

Big wheels and tires, Quality hitch, tilt bed or loading ramp(s),
metal floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm debating the same situation with my wife. No not to trade my wife for a
trailer!.
I inherited a 98 Toyota Tacoma with 5,000 miles on it. My stepdad only used
it for plowing.

Its nice to have but its just sitting in my driveway 99% of the time.

I want to sell it and buy a trailer for those occasional trips for plywood,
etc....
My wife wants to keep it as a spare vehicle..

If it was not worth so much I'd keep it but its like having $10,000 or so
sitting in the driveway....

Steve

"Leonardo" wrote in message
et...

I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that
hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want
to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow
1500 lbs.

What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

Thanks!

Lenny

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 9:54 am, "comcastss news groups"
wrote:
I'm debating the same situation with my wife. No not to trade my wife for a
trailer!.
I inherited a 98 Toyota Tacoma with 5,000 miles on it. My stepdad only used
it for plowing.

Its nice to have but its just sitting in my driveway 99% of the time.

I want to sell it and buy a trailer for those occasional trips for plywood,
etc....
My wife wants to keep it as a spare vehicle..

If it was not worth so much I'd keep it but its like having $10,000 or so
sitting in the driveway....

Steve

Well steve,,sell the Tacoma to Me for 1/2 that $10,000 and it wo'nt
seem like such a waste!!
Dean

"Leonardo" wrote in messagenews:u8qdnf9fmJQQQyDYnZ2dnUVZ_tGsnZ2d@centu rytel.net...

I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that
hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want
to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow
1500 lbs.

What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

Thanks!

Lenny- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:36:09 -0500, Nick Hull wrote:

In article ,
Leonardo wrote:

I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that
hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want
to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow
1500 lbs.

What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

I still keep my trusty '70 Chev C30, I only use it a couple of times a
year and spend more on insurance ($100) than gas and tags combined, but
it's still cheaper than buying a trailer of decent capacity. I have to
haul 4' x 8' sheets, and occsionally gravel, etc. Uses no gas just
sitting there

It might be on Standby. That would use some power, like a cordless
phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

Big wheels and tires, Quality hitch, tilt bed or loading ramp(s),
metal floor.

Thanks all
Posted to alt.home.repair

See if these guys have a rep in your area.
http://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers.cfm#Flatdecks the utility trailers are
partway down the flatdeck page. Go to www.pjtrailers.com for their home
page.
these are well built trailers with sealed wiring systems, box frames, brakes
if you want, etc. etc.

steve

"Leonardo" wrote in message
et...

I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that
hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want
to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow 1500
lbs.

What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

Thanks!

Lenny

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 05:46:27 -0600, Leonardo
wrote:

I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that
hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want
to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow
1500 lbs.

What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

Thanks!

Lenny

My first requirement is regular size wheels with regular wheel
bearings. My second is a real floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aluminum - about 300 lbs lighter. Go 4.5 x 8+ min size, easier to
load full sheets. I bought one like this a few years back. Easy to
move manually. Takes just a couple of minutes to hitch and you on the
road. When your moving dirt, etc, it's a lot more convenient because
you can roll a wheel barrel right up into the trailer. I'd have a
trailer even if I owned a pickup.

wrote:

I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that
hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want
to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow
1500 lbs.

What features should I look for in a quality trailer?

Thanks!

Lenny

My first requirement is regular size wheels with regular wheel
bearings. My second is a real floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Herron wrote:
Aluminum - about 300 lbs lighter. Go 4.5 x 8+ min size, easier to
load full sheets. I bought one like this a few years back. Easy to
move manually. Takes just a couple of minutes to hitch and you on the
road. When your moving dirt, etc, it's a lot more convenient because
you can roll a wheel barrel right up into the trailer. I'd have a
trailer even if I owned a pickup.

Thanks.

Going over 4X8 is worth considering.

L.

wrote:

I just sold my trusty '74 chevy C20 pickup (sniff). Don't need that
hauling capacity anymore, besides it used gas just sitting there. I want
to replace it with a 4X8 or 5X8 open trailer. My car is rated to tow
1500 lbs.
What features should I look for in a quality trailer?
Thanks!
Lenny

My first requirement is regular size wheels with regular wheel
bearings. My second is a real floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And about twice as expensive and problems attaching aluminum to steel.
Corrosion will run rampant. Not worth the benefits in 99% of cases.

--
Steve Barker

"Dave Herron" wrote in message
ups.com...
Aluminum - about 300 lbs lighter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Had my alum trailer for 4 years now. Store it outdoors and have had
no corrosion issues.

On Jan 30, 4:22 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
And about twice as expensive and problems attaching aluminum to steel.
Corrosion will run rampant. Not worth the benefits in 99% of cases.

--
Steve Barker

"Dave Herron" wrote in message

ups.com...

Aluminum - about 300 lbs lighter.

utility bills, help lavendula Home Ownership 18 January 11th 07 11:38 PM
Open-pit mining and open-cast quarrying equipment [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 23rd 06 10:56 AM
Utility Knife RicodJour Home Repair 47 April 25th 06 12:46 PM
utility chuck Wizard Woodturning 1 August 1st 04 12:18 PM