Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is an emergency switch outside a utility room supposed to befor?

The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on it. There
are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas water heater, and
a gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the room, or is
it for the whole room? Under what circumstances should the switch be used?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mtco" wrote in message
The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on it. There
are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas water heater, and a
gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the room, or is it
for the whole room? Under what circumstances should the switch be used?

Thanks.

Hmm, never seen one like that, at least not in a residential setting. I'll
offer a WAG that it cuts all power to circuits within the room, to reduce
chances of sparking in case of a gas leak? (You don't wanna flip switches if
you smell gas.) Either that or it sets off the alarms, and puts the room
under negative pressure to outside the building?

If I smelled gas, I'd be more inclined to pop the main breaker, unless it
was within the smelly zone, and shut the gas off at the meter, and call the
fire department from my cell outside or from the neighbors. FD and Gas
Company respond very quickly to gas leak reports. I've seen the aftermath of
basements filled with gas lighting off. Usually no fire, since the fumes
burn so quick, but when you pick the entire house up a foot or so and then
drop it, it is pretty much a writeoff.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would guess, if it is a push button, it shuts down all gas usage
in the room. These are typically required in commercial code
settings. It is a bit unusual for the heater and hot water tank,
as I would think they are a bit unusual in a typical setting. The
buttons are seen most often in kitchens, school science labs, etc.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"mtco" wrote in message
The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on
it. There are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas
water heater, and a gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the
room, or is it for the whole room? Under what circumstances
should the switch be used?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mtco wrote:
The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on it. There
are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas water heater, and
a gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the room, or is
it for the whole room? Under what circumstances should the switch be used?

Thanks.

That switch is required for an oil burner but I have never seen one used
for gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If what you're calling a "gas heater" is in fact a furnace or boiler, and it
is enclosed in a room(as opposed to sitting in the middle of a basement),
it's typical to have an emergency switch on the unit as well as outside the
door in case of a malfunction

"mtco" wrote in message
The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on it. There
are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas water heater, and a
gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the room, or is it
for the whole room? Under what circumstances should the switch be used?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
mtco wrote:
The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on it. There
are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas water heater, and a
gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the room, or is
it for the whole room? Under what circumstances should the switch be
used?

Thanks.

That switch is required for an oil burner but I have never seen one used
for gas.

Mebbe a retrofit gas burner, or a new furnace, and they just didn't bother
to rewire?

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mtco" wrote in message
The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on it. There
are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas water heater, and a
gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the room, or is it
for the whole room? Under what circumstances should the switch be used?

Thanks.

Did you try the switch? Usually emergency switches are only required for
oil burners. There might have been a conversion at one time.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
I would guess, if it is a push button, it shuts down all gas usage
in the room. These are typically required in commercial code
settings. It is a bit unusual for the heater and hot water tank,
as I would think they are a bit unusual in a typical setting. The
buttons are seen most often in kitchens, school science labs, etc.

It's not a push button; it's a toggle switch. It looks like just another
typical wall switch except for the red plate and the words on the latter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

That switch is required for an oil burner but I have never seen one used
for gas.

If the furnace were an oil furnace, what would be the purpose of the
emergency switch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
If what you're calling a "gas heater" is in fact a furnace or boiler, and it
is enclosed in a room(as opposed to sitting in the middle of a basement),
it's typical to have an emergency switch on the unit as well as outside the
door in case of a malfunction

Yes, it's a gas furnace, and yes it's in a room. So under what
circumstance should the switch be flipped?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Berkshire Bill wrote:
Did you try the switch? Usually emergency switches are only required for
oil burners. There might have been a conversion at one time.

No, I was hesitant to try it until I know what it's supposed to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article Azbvh.971$Ss1.823@trnddc07, mtco wrote:
RBM wrote:
If what you're calling a "gas heater" is in fact a furnace or boiler, and it
is enclosed in a room(as opposed to sitting in the middle of a basement),
it's typical to have an emergency switch on the unit as well as outside the
door in case of a malfunction

Yes, it's a gas furnace, and yes it's in a room. So under what
circumstance should the switch be flipped?

You still haven't told us what the switch is connected to. How do you expect
anyone to be able to tell you when you should flip it?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:39:57 GMT, mtco wrote:

The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on it. There

That switch is all-purpose. Whenever you have an emergency, you
should flip it.

I lost my job and they were about to foreclose on the house, and I
flipped that switch and won 2 million dollars in the Italian lottery.

are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas water heater, and
a gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the room, or is
it for the whole room? Under what circumstances should the switch be used?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

. net...
wrote:
RBM wrote:
If what you're calling a "gas heater" is in fact a furnace or boiler,
and it
is enclosed in a room(as opposed to sitting in the middle of a
basement),
it's typical to have an emergency switch on the unit as well as outside
the
door in case of a malfunction

Yes, it's a gas furnace, and yes it's in a room. So under what
circumstance should the switch be flipped?

You still haven't told us what the switch is connected to. How do you
expect
anyone to be able to tell you when you should flip it?

Ah, hell, go ahead and flip it. You know you want to. Worst case scenario,
you'll have to relight everything. It isn't a starship- there is no
self-destruct circuit.

Me, I'd poke around and see where the wires lead.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
If what you're calling a "gas heater" is in fact a furnace or boiler, and it
is enclosed in a room(as opposed to sitting in the middle of a basement),
it's typical to have an emergency switch on the unit as well as outside the
door in case of a malfunction

Yes, it's a gas furnace, and yes it's in a room. So under what
circumstance should the switch be flipped?

You still haven't told us what the switch is connected to. How do you expect
anyone to be able to tell you when you should flip it?

I don't know what it's connected to. I thought it's required by code in
some places. I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what
it's for based on it's placement.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I don't know where or why a burner or boiler emergency switch would ONLY be
required for an oil burner. In NY, NJ, and Conn. at least they are required
regardless of the type fuel

"Berkshire Bill" wrote in message

"mtco" wrote in message
The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on it. There
are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas water heater, and a
gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the room, or is
it for the whole room? Under what circumstances should the switch be
used?

Thanks.

Did you try the switch? Usually emergency switches are only required for
oil burners. There might have been a conversion at one time.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article RJbvh.973$Ss1.124@trnddc07, mtco wrote:

I don't know what it's connected to. I thought it's required by code in
some places. I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me what
it's for based on it's placement.

Well, we can't see it. You can. _Find_out_ what it's connected to, for Pete's
sake. Nobody can possibly tell you what it's for, or when and how it should be
used, without knowing what it's connected to.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Finding the keyboard operational
mtco entered:

The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on it.
There are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas water
heater, and a gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the room, or
is it for the whole room? Under what circumstances should the switch
be used?
Thanks.

It's to cut the electric power to the furnace and is required in NJ. In
fact, I once had trouble getting a CO because a tight assed inspector made
me change the "OIL BURNER EMERGENCY" switch to one that said GAS because it
was a gas furnace.
It does not cut off the gas or power to any thing else that I have ever seen
so I don't know what practical use it serves.
Bob

Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Think of a relay on the furnace jamming in the closed position and the
furnace just keeps blowing hot air, and won't stop running

"The Other Funk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

I lost my job and they were about to foreclose on the house, and I
flipped that switch and won 2 million dollars in the Italian lottery.

Two dollars a year for a million years?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
Think of a relay on the furnace jamming in the closed position and the
furnace just keeps blowing hot air, and won't stop running

So? Wouldn't the furnace be on breaker and you
would just trip the breaker? Of Course tripping
the electricity would (should) stop the release of
gas from a electronically controlled appliance.
Wouldn't work with my gas water heater since there
isn't any electricity to it and glad of it. Power
goes off, I've still got hot water.

Maybe NJ is just a bit too controlling-- make that
"They are a bit paranoid."

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

So? Wouldn't the furnace be on breaker and you would just trip the
breaker? Of Course tripping the electricity would (should) stop the
release of gas from a electronically controlled appliance. Wouldn't work
with my gas water heater since there isn't any electricity to it and glad
of it. Power goes off, I've still got hot water.

Maybe NJ is just a bit too controlling-- make that "They are a bit
paranoid."

In reality, how many people know where the breakers are, let alone which one
to flip? It may be that the breaker box is in close proximity to the
malfunctioning appliance too.

In my case, the emergency switch is on the upper level. No need to go near
an overheating oil burner, or one that is spewing smoke.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Nope, when a heating device like a boiler or furnace malfunctions, you want
something really obvious to turn it off. You don't need to be scrounging
around a breaker panel for the right one. Got nothing to do with paranoia,
just safety

RBM wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 1D9vh.1124$Tz4.393@trndny06, mtco wrote:
The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on it. There
are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas water heater, and
a gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the room, or is
it for the whole room? Under what circumstances should the switch be used?

Thanks.

My guess would be the heater, if it works anything at all. Is it possible
that there was an oil-fired unit in the building at one time? (Or maybe
still?) In my area, these switches are required for oil fired boilers
and furnaces but not for gas. Often when an oil burner is replaced
with gas, the switches are simply left in place even though no longer
connected to anything.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't know what it's connected to. I thought it's required by code
in some places. I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me
what it's for based on it's placement.

Well, we can't see it. You can. _Find_out_ what it's connected to,
for Pete's sake. Nobody can possibly tell you what it's for, or when
and how it should be used, without knowing what it's connected to.

For cryin' out loud!

It has a SIGN on it.

It's for EMERGENCIES!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:42:03 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

I lost my job and they were about to foreclose on the house, and I
flipped that switch and won 2 million dollars in the Italian lottery.

Two dollars a year for a million years?

Perhaps. I haven't gotten the first check yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 03:09:36 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Maybe NJ is just a bit too controlling-- make that
"They are a bit paranoid."

Maryland, or maybe it's Baltimore, is considering banning trans-fat at
restaurants. They are afraid that people will die from second-hand
fat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Finding the keyboard operational
George E. Cawthon entered:

Maybe NJ is just a bit too controlling-- make that
"They are a bit paranoid."

You can not ump your own gaoline in NJ. It must be pumped by a "trained"
operator. That is to prevent all the fires that happen in all the other
states.
Bob
Coffee worth staying up for – NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 7:51 pm, mtco wrote:
George wrote:

That switch is required for an oil burner but I have never seen one used
for gas.If the furnace were an oil furnace, what would be the purpose of the

emergency switch?

As others have pointed out, the purpose of the switch is to have an
obvious and easily accessible shut off switch in case the furnace or
boiler is malfunctioning. I don't know the specific code that
requires it, but as RBM pointed out, they are required here in NJ for
a furnace/boiler, regardless of fuel. They have a red plate that
says Emergency Furnace Shut Off. I've seen them in homes in NY state
for sure as well. They only shut off the electric to the furnace.
And I don't know what code says about where they have to be located,
but everyone I've seen has been in a location well away from the
furnace. Typical is in the stairwell leading to the basement, just
inside the door. The essential idea is, if the furnace goes nuts
and is rumbling, smoking and making strange noises, you want a way to
shut it off without having to go near it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

I lost my job and they were about to foreclose on the house, and I
flipped that switch and won 2 million dollars in the Italian lottery.

Two dollars a year for a million years?

No, it pays the full $2M lump sum in 100 years
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"mm" wrote in message

I lost my job and they were about to foreclose on the house, and I
flipped that switch and won 2 million dollars in the Italian lottery.

Two dollars a year for a million years?

No,that's the POLISH lottery.... ;-)

the Italian lottery pays off in lira.

(not euros)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in
:

RBM wrote:
[...]

In our Tektronix field service center,we had an emergency power cutoff
button in case a person got across voltage where they could not let go.
Hit the button,and ALL the shop's power disconnects.

It's a safety feature.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Finding the keyboard operational
Jim Yanik entered:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in
:

RBM wrote:
[...]

I don't remember one in the Woodbridge NJ Tektronix service center but every
lab in Lucent (ex Bell Labs) had a electrical cutout. One time the
electricians used a standar light switch instead of the covered button they
were supposed to use. Made for a lot of lost work when someone turned off
the "lights".
It just goes to show how important correct labeling and equipment is.
Bob

Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Other Funk" wrote in message
You can not ump your own gaoline in NJ. It must be pumped by a "trained"
operator. That is to prevent all the fires that happen in all the other
states.
Bob

Don't think you'll get it any cheaper if you pump it yourself. The self
serve is a rip off. I work in MA. Each town decides if its citizens are
capable of pumping their own gas. The full serve is the same price as the
self serve in the next town. No reason to freeze my ass off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:30:14 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

So? Wouldn't the furnace be on breaker and you would just trip the
breaker? Of Course tripping the electricity would (should) stop the
release of gas from a electronically controlled appliance. Wouldn't work
with my gas water heater since there isn't any electricity to it and glad
of it. Power goes off, I've still got hot water.

Maybe NJ is just a bit too controlling-- make that "They are a bit
paranoid."

In reality, how many people know where the breakers are, let alone which one
to flip? It may be that the breaker box is in close proximity to the
malfunctioning appliance too.

In my case, the emergency switch is on the upper level. No need to go near
an overheating oil burner, or one that is spewing smoke.

I think the rule for the emergency shutoff is that it has to
be easily accessible, not that it has to be far from
the furnace. Mine is mounted on a 3' hunk of conduit bolted
to the furnace itself, but that's because the furnace is in
the livingroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
[...]

Wayne H. and Joe V. were friends of mine. Did you know them?
They were the last two techs at Woodbridge up to the final closing of all
the Field Offices except for DCFO.(in 1999)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

"The Other Funk" wrote in message
You can not ump your own gaoline in NJ. It must be pumped by a
"trained" operator. That is to prevent all the fires that happen in
all the other states.
Bob

Don't think you'll get it any cheaper if you pump it yourself. The
self serve is a rip off. I work in MA. Each town decides if its
citizens are capable of pumping their own gas. The full serve is the
same price as the self serve in the next town. No reason to freeze my
ass off.

It's ironic that the Nation's birthplace is now a socialist hell.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]