Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default What is an emergency switch outside a utility room supposed tobe for?

RBM wrote:
Think of a relay on the furnace jamming in the closed position and the
furnace just keeps blowing hot air, and won't stop running

So? Wouldn't the furnace be on breaker and you
would just trip the breaker? Of Course tripping
the electricity would (should) stop the release of
gas from a electronically controlled appliance.
Wouldn't work with my gas water heater since there
isn't any electricity to it and glad of it. Power
goes off, I've still got hot water.

Maybe NJ is just a bit too controlling-- make that
"They are a bit paranoid."

"The Other Funk" wrote in message
Finding the keyboard operational
mtco entered:

The switch has a red plate with the words EMERGENCY SWITCH on it.
There are 3 gas appliances in the room: a gas heater, a gas water
heater, and a gas dryer.

Is the switch for a particular one of the appliances in the room, or
is it for the whole room? Under what circumstances should the switch
be used?
Thanks.

It's to cut the electric power to the furnace and is required in NJ. In
fact, I once had trouble getting a CO because a tight assed inspector made
me change the "OIL BURNER EMERGENCY" switch to one that said GAS because
it was a gas furnace.
It does not cut off the gas or power to any thing else that I have ever
seen so I don't know what practical use it serves.
Bob

Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com