Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default What is an emergency switch outside a utility room supposed to be for?

Goedjn wrote in
:

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:30:14 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

So? Wouldn't the furnace be on breaker and you would just trip the
breaker? Of Course tripping the electricity would (should) stop
the release of gas from a electronically controlled appliance.
Wouldn't work with my gas water heater since there isn't any
electricity to it and glad of it. Power goes off, I've still got
hot water.

Maybe NJ is just a bit too controlling-- make that "They are a bit
paranoid."

In reality, how many people know where the breakers are, let alone
which one to flip? It may be that the breaker box is in close
proximity to the malfunctioning appliance too.

In my case, the emergency switch is on the upper level. No need to go
near an overheating oil burner, or one that is spewing smoke.

I think the rule for the emergency shutoff is that it has to
be easily accessible, not that it has to be far from
the furnace. Mine is mounted on a 3' hunk of conduit bolted
to the furnace itself,

but that's because the furnace is in
the livingroom.

that must be a lovely sight..... ;-}