Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is an emergency switch outside a utility room supposed tobe for?

The Other Funk wrote:
Finding the keyboard operational
George E. Cawthon entered:

Maybe NJ is just a bit too controlling-- make that
"They are a bit paranoid."

You can not ump your own gaoline in NJ. It must be pumped by a "trained"
operator. That is to prevent all the fires that happen in all the other
states.
Bob
Coffee worth staying up for – NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

I don't "ump" gas anywhere. But everyone bitches
about having to wait for an attendant pumping gas
in Oregon. BTW, I don't see how NJ laws can
prevent fires in other states.

Seriously-- why be serious about NJ.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"The Other Funk" wrote in message
You can not ump your own gaoline in NJ. It must be pumped by a "trained"
operator. That is to prevent all the fires that happen in all the other
states.
Bob

Don't think you'll get it any cheaper if you pump it yourself. The self
serve is a rip off. I work in MA. Each town decides if its citizens are
capable of pumping their own gas. The full serve is the same price as the
self serve in the next town. No reason to freeze my ass off.

Until the attendant fills your gas tank with
diesel or vice versa.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

BTW, I don't see how NJ laws can
prevent fires in other states.

The NJ law has nothing to do with preventing fires; it's all about protecting
jobs.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 7:23 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

BTW, I don't see how NJ laws can
prevent fires in other states. The NJ law has nothing to do with preventing fires; it's all about protecting

jobs.

--
Regards,

I'd have to disagree that the NJ law is about protecting jobs. It's
been on the books since the 30s and I think if you look at why it was
created in the first place, there is agreement it was because it was
thought to be a safety issue. The politicians in NJ don't give a
damn about jobs, unless they are union jobs with political clout.
Almost all of the gas pumping jobs are non-unionized. The reason the
law is still there is because the majority of the people here like
it. The typical letter you see in the paper is along the lines "When
I was driving on my trip to FL, NJ was the lowest gas price I saw, so
it proves self service isn't a factor with gas prices." Of course,
what these dummies don't understand is that NJ gas is among the lowest
because the NJ state tax on gasoline is one of the lowest in the
country and we are close to a number of refineries. Then, the
discussion turns to the elderly and handicapped, who claim they will
be unable to get gas. That despite the fact that stations would still
have some attendents for full service and it obviously works in other
states. So, faced with that, the politicians figure that if they can
give the voters at least something trivial that they want, they will
be dumb enough to vote them back in, ignoring how they are getting
screwed right and left with corruption and the highest taxes. And it
does seem to work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jan 2007 01:10:04 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Goedjn wrote in
:

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:30:14 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

So? Wouldn't the furnace be on breaker and you would just trip the
breaker? Of Course tripping the electricity would (should) stop
the release of gas from a electronically controlled appliance.
Wouldn't work with my gas water heater since there isn't any
electricity to it and glad of it. Power goes off, I've still got
hot water.

Maybe NJ is just a bit too controlling-- make that "They are a bit
paranoid."

In reality, how many people know where the breakers are, let alone
which one to flip? It may be that the breaker box is in close
proximity to the malfunctioning appliance too.

In my case, the emergency switch is on the upper level. No need to go
near an overheating oil burner, or one that is spewing smoke.

I think the rule for the emergency shutoff is that it has to
be easily accessible, not that it has to be far from
the furnace. Mine is mounted on a 3' hunk of conduit bolted
to the furnace itself,

but that's because the furnace is in
the livingroom.

that must be a lovely sight..... ;-}

Well, I wanted cubage more than I wanted "nice looking", so
I bought a 150 year old Masonic temple, and am converting
it. About the time I'm too old to climb the stairs,
it will be really nice. My heirs will be
delighted, bemused, or both.

--Goedjn

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

BTW, I don't see how NJ laws can
prevent fires in other states.

The NJ law has nothing to do with preventing fires; it's all about
protecting
jobs.

--
Regards,

NJ laws never have anything to do with what law makers say they are about.
Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The typical letter you see in the paper is along the lines "When
I was driving on my trip to FL, NJ was the lowest gas price I saw, so
it proves self service isn't a factor with gas prices." Of course,
what these dummies don't understand is that NJ gas is among the lowest
because the NJ state tax on gasoline is one of the lowest in the
country and we are close to a number of refineries.

While what you say about taxes is true, other states, like Massachusetts
have a mix of self and full service as each town fire marshal makes the law
for pumping. The full service stations sell at the same price as the self
serve stations across the street or around the block. I'll be damned if I'm
going to stand out in the cold when I can pay the same price and have it
pumped for me. The only difference it is consistently about 30¢ higher
than NJ.

I live in CT. Some of the stations offer both, but they artificially raise
the full serve about 35¢ to 50¢ over the self serve. They really don't want
to pump it but if you make them, they will be well paid for the service. In
any case, they are about 6¢ over MA due to our very high gas taxes. I think
we are second highest in the country.