Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is an emergency switch outside a utility room supposed to be for?

On Jan 30, 7:23 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

BTW, I don't see how NJ laws can
prevent fires in other states. The NJ law has nothing to do with preventing fires; it's all about protecting

jobs.

--
Regards,

I'd have to disagree that the NJ law is about protecting jobs. It's
been on the books since the 30s and I think if you look at why it was
created in the first place, there is agreement it was because it was
thought to be a safety issue. The politicians in NJ don't give a
damn about jobs, unless they are union jobs with political clout.
Almost all of the gas pumping jobs are non-unionized. The reason the
law is still there is because the majority of the people here like
it. The typical letter you see in the paper is along the lines "When
I was driving on my trip to FL, NJ was the lowest gas price I saw, so
it proves self service isn't a factor with gas prices." Of course,
what these dummies don't understand is that NJ gas is among the lowest
because the NJ state tax on gasoline is one of the lowest in the
country and we are close to a number of refineries. Then, the
discussion turns to the elderly and handicapped, who claim they will
be unable to get gas. That despite the fact that stations would still
have some attendents for full service and it obviously works in other
states. So, faced with that, the politicians figure that if they can
give the voters at least something trivial that they want, they will
be dumb enough to vote them back in, ignoring how they are getting
screwed right and left with corruption and the highest taxes. And it
does seem to work.